Best screws and drill bit for a soffit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting my CCTV cameras tomorrow. What are the best type of screws to use when mounting onto the plastic soffit and what is the best kind of drill bit to use to make the hole for running the cable?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
is it wood or plastic?

can you see the nails where the soffit is attached to the roof timbers?

stainless screws will last longer than BZP.

is it wood or plastic?

can you see the nails where the soffit is attached to the roof timbers?

stainless screws will last longer than BZP.

It is plastic, and I think you can.

Attachments

• 20200729_194714.jpg
    20200729_194714.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 565
then I wouldn't rely on the plastic, drill through it into the wood. If the plastic is, say, 20mm thick, you screw needs to be around 50mm. I'd put a d-form stainless washer under the screw head to prevent it crushing the plastic, but your fitting bracket may spread the load enough. You want round-head or pan-head screws, not countersunk.

If you want to retain cable along the soffit, clip pins may fall out, but a garden vine-eye or hook, into the timber, won't. It's like a cup-hook but with a much longer shank.

Sponsored Links
then I wouldn't rely on the plastic, drill through it into the wood. If the plastic is, say, 20mm thick, you screw needs to be around 50mm. I'd put a d-form stainless washer under the screw head to prevent it crushing the plastic, but your fitting bracket may spread the load enough. You want round-head or pan-head screws, not countersunk.

If you want to retain cable along the soffit, clip pins may fall out, but a garden vine-eye or hook, into the timber, won't. It's like a cup-hook but with a much longer shank.
There may not be any wood, soffit is typically 16mm thick and solid so doesn't crush and will hold screws well.

There may not be any wood, soffit is typically 16mm thick and solid so doesn't crush and will hold screws well.

Oh, I think I've only seen cellular soffit. I put some hanging baskets up once where it had been retrofitted.

But won't it have been nailed to the ends of the roof timbers?

20mm drill hole for cable entry from soffit and use screws provided with camera to install

Oh, I think I've only seen cellular soffit. I put some hanging baskets up once where it had been retrofitted.

But won't it have been nailed to the ends of the roof timbers?
Yes but may be no timber where he wishes to install camera.

mmmm

On my house, I can see the ends of the trusses sticking out of the eaves, and I thought his soffit would be nailed to them. I can see some screw or nail caps at about the right spacing in his pic. Isn't that right?

mmmm

On my house, I can see the ends of the trusses sticking out of the eaves, and I thought his soffit would be nailed to them. I can see some screw or nail caps at about the right spacing in his pic. Isn't that right?

Yes. One polypin exposed at the wall end, the other end of the board nailed/screwed to rafter and covered by the fascia overlap.

I'd have thought many domestic cameras are designed to be mounted vertically on a wall, not upside down under a soffit.

Yes. One polypin exposed at the wall end, the other end of the board nailed/screwed to rafter and covered by the fascia overlap.

I'd have thought many domestic cameras are designed to be mounted vertically on a wall, not upside down under a soffit.
They are designed to be mounted just about anywhere you can fix securely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back