Best switches / related prodcuts and wires

In 50 years time, electrical installations will be totally different and much of what's used now will be totally obsolete.
Yours is an interesting comment, with which I do not completely agree.
British electrical practice, somewhat caught up with that of other countries with BS 1363 - introduced in 1947.
The extra safety of Line and Neutral "Pin" half insulation was not required under BS 1363 until 1984.

Being quite "parochial", I must inform you that (by the mid 1930s) at least one country had already taken all that could by then be obtained from British, European and American practice (starting in 1930 - 90 years ago) and "amalgamated" those into a "Standard", which has since been used from there on in the country concerned and (somewhat) adopted by other countries.
You may wish to view https://cool386.com/plug/plug.html for further information on this matter.

The Plug/Socket-Outlets concerned in Australia/NZ have not changed much since the 1930s, except in regard to the extra safety of "Pin" half insulation. This was not required until 2005, well after BS1363 was changed in 1984 to require such insulation.
While such "insulation" has been required on Australian/NZ plugs sold since April 2005, this "safety feature" does no yet pertain in North America.

Weather you, I or others like it or not, the "common" practices in most countries since WW II (apart from North America) has been to adopt much of DIN practice.

While "searching", I have found it to be a bit "insulting" that it is not easy to find that DIN stands for the "Deutsches Institut für Normung" (which is the German national organization for standardization )

It seems quite incredible that "Western Europe", the "USA" and many other countries now owe so much to the DIN standards in every day life but do not acknowledge their debt to these "standards"

Sponsored Links
it was too easy to deform the dielectric with clumsy handling or tight bends so the foam filled centres were preferred as they didn't collapse so readily
Also with poor fitting water would wick up the air space. Neither a problem for the professional.

Yes, you would hope so. But things can go wrong. Looking back at PVC cables. Some PVC cables installed in the 1960 and 70s turned out to have a problem. This did not reveal itself until the cables had been installed for several years.
What happened was that the plasticiser in the cable deteriorated and gave off a runny green liquid.
So, there’s no guarantees.

More info
Dear Taylortwocities,

Thanks. I 100 % agree.
This is exactly why i am asking what cable brand would justify long lasting life and high quality. Happy to spend a little more given the fact that wiring is a one time activity for me (I am 40 now, first time buyer and have been renting all these years, family of 4).

Thanks again...

Yes, you would hope so. But things can go wrong. Looking back at PVC cables. Some PVC cables installed in the 1960 and 70s turned out to have a problem. This did not reveal itself until the cables had been installed for several years.
What happened was that the plasticiser in the cable deteriorated and gave off a runny green liquid.
So, there’s no guarantees.

More info

Thank you. I know know why one of our light switches has a green liquid that keeps appearing at the bottom of the switch plate.

Sponsored Links
Thank you. I know know why one of our light switches has a green liquid that keeps appearing at the bottom of the switch plate.
The 'green goo' is slightly toxic, so best cleaned up wearing gloves (and in a work environment, disposed of as controlled waste!).
...it's also indicative that some rewiring will soon be necessary!

For rewiring, I have asked for Doncaster cables and Wylex for consumer units. Pending re-quote. I guess, this wouldn't be much.

The 'green goo' is slightly toxic, so best cleaned up wearing gloves (and in a work environment, disposed of as controlled waste!).
...it's also indicative that some rewiring will soon be necessary!

Thanks

It has been like that for over 15 years.

In the last 10 years, we have had two new CUs fitted. The last CU was fitted a couple of years ago. If there was an immediate issue, would the tests on the CU have picked them up?

Thanks

In the last 10 years, we have had two new CUs fitted. The last CU was fitted a couple of years ago. If there was an immediate issue, would the tests on the CU have picked them up?
I don't believe there is an immediate issue. Regular testing should pick up excessive deterioration of the cable.
The green goo (di-isoctyl phthalate*) is a reaction between leaching plasticiser and the copper wire.
It goes without saying, if you are losing plasticiser, the cable is becoming more brittle!
In a fixed installation, this may not matter too much, as long as the cable remains undisturbed - insulation resistance isn't usually effected.
However, as the cables that suffered badly were from the late 60's and they can only continue to deteriorate, it's worth considering replacing them in the near future! :)
The compound isn't normally conductive; if it drips into a socket or switch, this can cause heat damage due to high resistance of the contacts.

EDIT:
My best pronunciation -
"Die ice Oct ill phal ate" :)

Last edited:
Thanks

Why on earth have you had two new CUs in 10 years?

Why on earth have you had two new CUs in 10 years?

On reflection it is probably closer to 14 years. When we had the garage built, the electrician recommended a new CU. Strangely, he fitted a separate RCD for the garage in its own enclosure next to the CU (the CU he fitted that day). About 5 years ago she wot scowls at me had a Amazon Ring fitted (by electrician number 2) that required a transformer in another separate enclosure.

When she decided it was time to redo the kitchen, electrician number 2 suggested getting a bigger CU (which makes sense).

I am not convinced that electrician number one was a fully qualified electrician.

.... Additionally cable is very heavy and transporting it for large distances in it's finished state makes no sense for several reasons.
I've just noticed the above. It would be a valid (and laudable) comment if the copper used were of UK origin, but I think that it is many years since we had any operational copper mines. Given that a substantial proportion of the weight of cables 'in their finished state' is attributable to their copper content, I'm not sure that transporting 'finished cable' for long distances would be anything like as 'worse' as one might think as would be importing the copper from parts afar and then manufacturing the cable in the UK.

I'm less sure about the PVC. I suspect (but am certainly not sure) that UK-manufactured cables use PVC manufactured in the UK from crude oil (or LPG) imported from the Middle East, and I'm not sure what weight of the raw material is needed to produce a certain weight of PVC. If that conversion is roughly 1:1, then it doesn't make much difference where the PVC is produced, but if the weight of the oil/whatever is appreciably greater than the amount of PVC produced then , terms of weight/distance of transportation, it would be better if the PVC (and possible also the cables) were produced as close as possible to the Middle East (or wherever).

To be clear, I'm not advocating the use of cables manufactured in Turkey (or anywhere else outside of the UK), merely indicating that the argument mentioned above is probably not as strong as my first seem to be the case.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back