Live & Dead Wires in Light Switch

Read my last post. You only need 1 live in the L terminal, doesn't matter which. Make the spare one safe (bit of terminal block)
yep, thats what I did. I put one blue in the terminal and one blue in a connector block.

oneside.jpeg

Yet, only one set of lights work.

Any ideas?

JH

Sponsored Links
Disconnect that brown core (with the red tape on marking it as live) from the switch. Connect the blue core (currently in the terminal block) into the terminal on the switch where the taped brown was. Make the taped brown core safe

Disconnect that brown core (with the red tape on marking it as live) from the switch. Connect the blue core (currently in the terminal block) into the terminal on the switch where the taped brown was. Make the taped brown core safe

I did what you said and now, the side that wasn’t working is permanently on.
I can’t switch that off. The other side works normally.

JH

Attachments

• 52159B14-A95F-42E1-A2F1-D1B315F22E08.jpeg
    52159B14-A95F-42E1-A2F1-D1B315F22E08.jpeg
    185.5 KB · Views: 64
You haven't followed the advice . It's simple. You have two permanent lives with red tape. They only go to the L terminal and the ones with no tape ,go one to each output terminal

Sponsored Links
That blue core with red on it is into L isn't it? If so then swap the non-taped cores over, see if the fault moves (won't be a big surprise if you've trashed half the switch with your random cable swappings)

OK

Try again. Unless someone has mixed up yopur wiring in a BIG way, the browns should be the permanent live,m not the blues.
That is probably where you are leading yourself down a rabbit hole.
You can first prove this. Use your mains tester aand check between the earth connection block and each of the browns. They should both show 230V.
If so, those are the lives. They go in the L terminal, not the blues.

The blues are - should be - your switched lives. They go in the two output terminals.

Dont get confused on how the old dimmers were wired, they dont care which way round they are connected. Your Lightwave very much does. Especially if you are tyring to make it work without a neutral.

You haven't followed the advice . It's simple. You have two permanent lives with red tape. They only go to the L terminal and the ones with no tape ,go one to each output terminal
You want me to put the live blue and live brown both in one terminal?

You need to be certain which of the 4 conductors are the two permanent lives ,as Taylor said above. Once you have that established put both permanent lives into " L". You can use only one ,and have the other in a seperate loose terminal block ,but that's a bit pointless when you have a terminal on the switch !
You are sure that both are on the same circuit ?

Now I have put both live wires in the L terminal and it’s still only working one side, which is permanently on.
See image.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 64
Have you used your meter again to establish which are permanent lives ?

You need to be certain which of the 4 conductors are the two permanent lives ,as Taylor said above. Once you have that established put both permanent lives into " L". You can use only one ,and have the other in a seperate loose terminal block ,but that's a bit pointless when you have a terminal on the switch !
You are sure that both are on the same circuit ?
Other than identifying the permanent lives, have we attempted to establish if they are both on the same MCB/fuse?

Good God! How long will that take?
I now but don't you think we ought to under the circumstances?

EDIT:
For what it's worth, I've had several calls where RCD's trip after this sort of work has been done.

They are both on the same fuse. It’s the same circuit.

inhave now swapped the blue with the browns and still one side remains on.
See image.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 54
Ok, my best advice at this stage is for you to put the old switch back on and working then get either an electrician or someone who can follow basic instructions to fit the thing. I'm out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back