Live & Dead Wires in Light Switch

My last thought is that, this particular switch may need a neutral, although you have others working without it.

I too am out from further comment. But will watch with interest.

Sponsored Links
Ok this wiring with both lives in the X terminal and the non lives in the Live terminals has put all the lights on, but when I switch them off, they just dim down and don’t shut off.

Seems like dim is the new off for the tests I’ve been doing.

Attachments

• D6F40742-602C-4680-812F-231161416C56.jpeg
    D6F40742-602C-4680-812F-231161416C56.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 56
You either have a faulty switch ( possibly damaged by yourself), or it requires a neutral, or you have not established which are the permanent lives correctly when you measured voltages present. When you measured voltages ,were the conductors connected to the switch ?

Sponsored Links
I’ve put the old switch back on for now and will start working on another 2-way switch.

stay tuned

I've been watching this thread and at the moment I'm not sure where the confusion is; us not understanding you, you understanding us, confusing test results, mixing wires etc.
No blame or insults intended, just trying to get to the facts.
As I understand it you have these cables [ignoring earth] and have confirmed, by testing, that both lights are on the same MCB or fuse:
upload_2021-1-15_16-29-41.png

So what I'd like you to do is turn the power off, remove the switch and make the wires safe, ideally in a 4 way choc bloc in a way that the wires do not get confused or mixed up and cannot short to anything.
After finding a sensible way to identify the lights such as 1&2 or bed & bath etc, I have 5 tests for you to do by linking wires together ONE AT A TIME! in a safe way and do not confuse us with any other combinations not listed.
upload_2021-1-15_16-25-42.png

and fill in which lights come on in these blue boxes:
A=[ ] B=[ ] C=[ ] D=[ ] E=[ ]
Simplest way is to click on quote and fill the boxes and send, no other comments required at this time

I am expecting to see 2 or 3 boxes filled in.
For example:
A=[ 2 ] B=[ 1 ] C=[ ] D=[ ] E=[ ] or

A=[ bed ] B=[ ] C=[ bed ] D=[ bath ] E=[ ]

Please make sure you turn the power off before making changes.

If the test results are different to my prediction [not made public] then I will also be out like the others.

Last edited:
I have single connector blocks like you see in the image. Will that do?

What do you mean by 1/2 or bed and bath?

How do I connect one with the other?

JH

I have single connector blocks like you see in the image. Will that do?

What do you mean by 1/2 or bed and bath?

How do I connect one with the other?

JH
All I need you to do is make the wires safe so they can't touch anything and you don't have any confusion which is which and then to link them together in the sequence shown in my sketch.

Then to fill in the blue boxes in my list so I know positively which of the 2 lights comes on in the various combinations of A to E, where are the 2 lights & do they have an obvious title? I just want to know what comes on and when.

All I'm trying to do is identify wires as so far your posts have confused me and the others.

There you go, how to do the tests with 3 single connectors

Attachments

• upload_2021-1-15_22-46-9.png
    upload_2021-1-15_22-46-9.png
    9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
After I connect them like this, I should simply check which ones show a reading on the multimeter?

if so, I don't get this part:

Can you elaborate on what this means?

JH

After I connect them like this, I should simply check which ones show a reading on the multimeter?

if so, I don't get this part:

Can you elaborate on what this means?

JH
this bit was just an example and you will not need your meter to see which light comes on

If i connect them all into connector blocks, how can any light be connected? How can any light come on?

JH

I made a mistake in post #71. this is the corrected version
upload_2021-1-16_0-10-14.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back