best tool for cutting out floor?

Sponsored Links
A grinder is not only more dangerous, but instead of just dust or sparks you get lots of much larger flying wood-chips and splinters.

They may be dramatic, but for a DIYer who had to ask the question in the first place, then a wood-cutting grinder is the worst thing to consider

Use a circular saw if you must, or just drill a hole or two, enlarge /join them to allow a handsaw to get in and then hand saw it - lowering the saw angle near to joists

nasty...
...circular saw it is then...

I just assumed from the other guys post that this was some special wood-cutting blade for a grinder , not a circular saw blade that will have large teeth - that would obviously be dangerous on an powerfull angle grinder and I wouldnt even think about doing that - but a special wood cutting grinder blade thats smooth (no teeth) then thats the kind of thing i was thinking he meant...

i think this is what he meant:
http://www.kwiktoolusa.com/bad_blade_carver.aspx

which ISNT a circular saw blade, and is made for wood - still it makes my butt-hole tighten a bit just thinking about using anything that has gaps in (teeth) which circular saw has too

@ woody - good idea with handsaw - wouldnt take much to do

Please do not attempt this with any kind of grinding tool. You're going to be on your knees, leaning forward (totally off balanced) with all your weight going onto the grinder. Also grinders do not have way of controlling cutting depth.

Use a circular saw, you don't a massively powered skil saw with a 9" or 12" blade. A 6" one will do and set the blade depth at 20mm, the blade needs to be able to cut wood and steel, then cut along the joints.

I've got one of these - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqirFDSOOaU - ideal for your job. The video is genuine, they do cut that easily and the weirdest thing is the blade never gets hot. But you must use eye protection the swarf is thrown all over the place.

Sponsored Links
Please do not attempt this with any kind of grinding tool. You're going to be on your knees, leaning forward (totally off balanced) with all your weight going onto the grinder. Also grinders do not have way of controlling cutting depth.

Use a circular saw, you don't a massively powered skil saw with a 9" or 12" blade. A 6" one will do and set the blade depth at 20mm, the blade needs to be able to cut wood and steel, then cut along the joints.

I've got one of these - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqirFDSOOaU - ideal for your job. The video is genuine, they do cut that easily and the weirdest thing is the blade never gets hot. But you must use eye protection the swarf is thrown all over the place.

yeah many thanks for the links and advice i really appreciate it - we got paid today so will be buying some materials over weekend, she starts nights tonight so progress will be limited as she is the driver to get materials and will be sleeping during the day
is there anywhere that delivers plasterboard cheap? she says B&Q wont deliver it?
thanks again

EDIT: hey its a beast that one hehe - i love the way its a chick doing it at the end as if too say "ANYONE CAN DO IT" hehe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back