Best tool for profiling mastic/silicone to outside door/window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I am looking to re-silicone on the outside of doors and windows. However having never done this before I am somewhat nervous about using the finger technique to smooth it. I have had a look at some profiling tools but it seems very confusing as to what tool or what size profile would be best. The kits I was thinking about was Fugi Kit or Otto chemie spoons- some of these are very large and some very small. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I have tried loads of silicone mastic tools, never found one better than the MK1 finger, they even come in a variety of sizes on each hand!(y)
Trick is to clean off any silicone from your finger after every pass and dip them in water with just a drop pf washing up liquid for final smoothing, it is a skill which you have to learn, so practice first.
You can use masking tape if you wish then peel off immediately and use light strokes with your finger to smooth any lifting at the edges.

Profile tools do not work unless both sides of the bead are totally smooth (that's why the guys on the TV selling channels use two bits of melamine to demonstrate on) even then after a while you may find a thin skin of silicone alongside where the tool wiped, which picks up dirt in the end.

As Footprints said masking tape both edges is best. Make sure you clean the surfaces first or the silicone will not stick properly

Sponsored Links
When doing silicone in the bathroom, I too find some carefully applied masking tape to both sides leaving a gap for the silicone the best finish. You can be quite firm with your wet finger for the first pass before carefully removing the tape. This leaves a slightly raised edge, then a final light pass with a clean wet finger finishes off a treat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back