Best TV Brand?

Yeah. IIRC, the answer to my question "Can I get a decent TV for around £500?" was "It'll be poo."

Best saving for a more expensive one, I was told.
Cobblers, a £500 TV will be fine and better than a £1000 TV from a few years ago. JL has loads of TV's for £500 or under, most people would never be able to tell the difference between a £500 TV and a £1000 TV when their watching their soaps etc anyway.

I bought cheapy Toshibas for the kids (£200) a year or so back, they've been fine, get regular updates and the picture looks fine.

Sponsored Links
I'm going to attach an old PC and see if I can run the films that won't play using other methods.
Fingers crossed!
Did you ever get the turntable and amp that you were asking about recently?

You probably already know that the sound quality from modern TVs is terrible. For this reason you would be advised to hook up your telly to external speakers. My TV is part of my hi-fi system, I have it connected to the amplifier along with my turntable, CD player etc.

£129 for an nvidia shield from amazon to make your TV like new again in the apps department? I still use a panasonic plasma. I want to upgrade but only for the energy saving. I would go for an LG OLED C1 or C2 and still use the nvidia shield!
I bought a Firestick to make my old TV "Smart".

Did you ever get the turntable and amp that you were asking about recently?

You probably already know that the sound quality from modern TVs is terrible. For this reason you would be advised to hook up your telly to external speakers. My TV is part of my hi-fi system, I have it connected to the amplifier.
It's in the queue of things to do!

Yes, most flat screen TVs have dire sound.

My JVC micro system has a couple of bookshelf speakers which are currently either side of the main unit.

Ideally, I'd like 4 speakers, one in each corner so that there are two in front of the viewers and two behind. And, as you suggest, I want to channel the sound for everything into these speakers: TV along with an Echo and the JVC system itself (DAB, CD) and then add a turntable and a cassette deck. But as far as the audio is concerned, I'm not sure if it's as easy as wiring two speakers to each channel.

I have two AUX connections, the Echo uses one, but as you say I can get a switch and attach the other stuff to the AUX 2.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to everybody for all your help, it's very much appreciated.

Cobblers, a £500 TV will be fine and better than a £1000 TV from a few years ago. JL has loads of TV's for £500 or under, most people would never be able to tell the difference between a £500 TV and a £1000 TV when their watching their soaps etc anyway.

I bought cheapy Toshibas for the kids (£200) a year or so back, they've been fine, get regular updates and the picture looks fine.
Sorry but I completely disagree. The bi-linear shadowing on lesser screens is plain to see, even if just watching the soaps!

@securespark Yes for watching films and whatnot, I did spend a bit extra than I planned to (£800) as I wanted to get something future proof for the latest and next gen gaming consoles as that matters to me.

Stop press: further advice from AVForum is that a 55" TV is too small for the viewing distance of just under 3m.

The advice is to get a 77" TV minimum.

bigger screens need better processors = more budget. I personally find its the Audio that makes the difference when watching a film, not the screen size.

Stop press: further advice from AVForum is that a 55" TV is too small for the viewing distance of just under 3m.
Even I remember the time when we would be happy with a 21" CRT over that distance! :)

Screenshot_20230328-093615_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230328-093703_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back