Best water based gloss and extenders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm bracing myself for the dreaded job of painting the woodwork. Some of it has oil based satin on it so I need to sand all that back as I want to use water based (can't stand the yellowing of oil based plus the smell and the drying time - dog always ends up with paint on some part of his anatomy)

What's the best water based gloss?

I've not had great success in the past as I always end up with brush marks despite rubbing down between coats, so I was wondering if using Floetrol or XIM latex extender would help get a better finish - if so, which is the best? Does it affect the drying time? Does it cause any yellowing after time?

Sponsored Links
The decent glosses are hybrid so there is an alkyd content but they stay white far longer than oil based. Johnstones aqua is the best of a bad bunch. Satin is easier, sikkens and johnstones are both good and i believe the Dulux isn't bad. As for floetrol i actually used some the other day and it was worse than had i not used it, it could be that it had been in the van too long but i believe xim is better. Wet abrade between coats for the best results.

Thank you. We've got a Johnstone's store here so I'll go up and get some of the Aqua to try.

I obviously don't work quick enough with water based gloss. I start off OK then it all starts to go wrong and it starts to dry out and I end up with brush marks.

Thank you. We've got a Johnstone's store here so I'll go up and get some of the Aqua to try.

I obviously don't work quick enough with water based gloss. I start off OK then it all starts to go wrong and it starts to dry out and I end up with brush marks.

Are you determined to use gloss? If so, I agree about the Aqua (and I have found the Farrow and Ball w/b gloss to go on quite nicely).

Otherwise, have you considered using waterbased eggshell? It is easier to apply and get a good finish with than gloss, especially for DIY ers.

Sponsored Links
We were just talking about it today and thought that eggshell/satin was maybe more forgiving than gloss - so I'll probably use that.

Is Johnstone's still the best?

We were just talking about it today and thought that eggshell/satin was maybe more forgiving than gloss - so I'll probably use that.

Is Johnstone's still the best?

Johsntone's don't make a waterbased eggshell, just a satinwood (slightly higher sheen than eggshell). I strongly recommend Little Greene's w/b eggshell. It's lovely. F & B is OK but not as much of a pleasure to put on.

Thanks for that - just had a look at Little Greene's eggshell - just as well I was sitting down!! Hahahaha nearly fainted at the price.

I wonder if satinwood would be better? Not as high gloss as gloss (obviously) but with a bit of a sheen?

I'm so bad at decisions............... :confused:

Thanks for that - just had a look at Little Greene's eggshell - just as well I was sitting down!! Hahahaha nearly fainted at the price.

I wonder if satinwood would be better? Not as high gloss as gloss (obviously) but with a bit of a sheen?

I'm so bad at decisions............... :confused:

The Little Greene is better paint - it covers better, so overall it is not that much more expensive. For the window frames, door frame and door and skirting in the average sitting room I worked out it was only a couple of quid more than the Johnstone's.

The Johnstone's waterbased satin is nice too and you can get brilliant white in it (which STAYS white of course, being water based), whereas LG's nearest eggshell to brilliant white (they don't do a satin) is 'Shirting' (a nice subtle off white) and F & B's... I can't remember! 'White with a hint of Pretension', probably!

I went into Johnstone's and just got the satinwood, primer and emulsion there. Geez, their emulsion is thick.

I've only done two coats of primer so far but it's looking OK - I've not rubbed it back yet but it's really quite smooth with minimal brush strokes.

Hopefully will top coat tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back