Best way to clean stained wood panelling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

I recently had solid wood paneling fitted around the base of my bath. The builders stained the wood to make it water proof but I've noticed it tends to collect dust. I can't use a yellow duster on it because the wood just collects extra fluff from the duster and I dare not use any chemical cleaners on it.

Anyone know a good way to clean the paneling?

Sponsored Links
Staining timber tends to lift the grain of the wood, and the answer is to let the stain dry, sand it down and then apply another coat. This may take a few attempts before the finish is completely smooth.
John :)

Thanks John, they did sand it down once and restrain but I'm prepared to do this again.

Sorry I'm a bit of a DIY newbie but can I just sand this down by hand using a coarse sand paper?

Sure you can....as it's been sanded before, go for a 120 or 140 grit paper - whatever comes to hand.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I'd use a fine sandpaper (240 grtit) and see if that cures it, then restain if necessary. Did they put any coatings on after the stain though, as a stain won't normally waterproof the wood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back