Best way to cover box above stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm finally getting round to sorting out a nursery for my daughter (she'll be too old if I delay it much longer) and am hoping for some advice.

When we moved in, the box thing in the little room over the stairs (does this type of box actually have name, I've not been able to find out?) had some sort of plastic laminate over it that was held in place by a metal strip around the side but this came off extremely easily.

my initial idea was to sand it down to the wood and varnish it but after having a go at it with an electric sander for quite some time, I don't really seem to be getting anywhere. I'm now wondering if I might be better getting some sort of laminate like you might have on your bathroom floor but am not sure if I would have to glue it in place or if I would have to use a strip around the side to attach it. it's really only going to be used to put the baby's toys and books on top of so they're out of the way. has anyone done anything similar and can let me know what they did and what the outcome was?

as always, your advice and assistance is very much appreciated,

rob

Sponsored Links
The box, Rob, contains the slope of the stair ceiling, if you can follow that!
You can clad the top and sides with whatever you feel like really (pine cladding on the sides, maybe) and on such a small area you wouldn't need to worry about the material expanding, if you use laminate.
John :)

generally the cupboard under/over the stairs is the best description
or the box/slope in the room for the stairs

I build a wardrobe over this type of boxing makes good use of otherwise difficult to use area.When older can also make a good spot for tv etc.

Sponsored Links
If you have the length in the room you could use the box as one end of a cabin bed.

Never mind covering it - rub it down, its got a perfectly good finish.

Its a flat surface, use it.

But if your going to use it for something that someone will be on top of make damn sure that its solidly supported.

We had one of these in our old house (we built it and made the top removable so we could store items like sleeping bags). We painted it with the same emulsion we used on the walls of the bedroom. It scuffed slightly but only because we put a suitcase feet first on it and then dragged it off after packing - not wise! After a repaint it was fine for a few more years, but I guess a coat of varnish on top would've made it more durable for regular use in a children's room.

It would not make a good changing table! Aside from the lack of lip for safety, you'd have to get on your knees or bend horribly, unless it's taller than I'm envisaging. As a parent I'd definitely vote no to that one!

Aside from the lack of lip for safety, you'd have to get on your knees or bend horribly, unless it's taller than I'm envisaging.
Going by the position relative to the light switch and landing baluster it looks about 900mm - a pretty good height.

Aside from the lack of lip for safety, you'd have to get on your knees or bend horribly, unless it's taller than I'm envisaging.
Going by the position relative to the light switch and landing baluster it looks about 900mm - a pretty good height.

Fair enough, looks like it probably is then :) OP you'd still need to add a safety lip (and easy reach area for nappies, bowls etc) if you wanted to do this. Toys and books option sounds good!

My sister is currently having this problem and as far as I know, has chosen to knock the box out and turn it into just a slanted block-which I believe she is going to use as a shoe rack.

If it was me, I'd rip out the whole enclosure and rebuild it so it became a built-in wardrobe - the bottom half and entire left side boarded, plastered and decorated to match the room. The top half, bi-fold internal or sliding doors.

I realise the light switch and rad would need moving.

Our 'nursery' doesn't extend over the stairs like yours does, but it makes the room smaller, so we're going to open up the wall facing and build it out over the stairs to make a built-in wardrobe - the bottom of it will be at the same angle as the stairs to you don't smash your head every time you use the stairs. The angle will be concealed by boxing inside and make a shallow shoe storage space.

Nursery people sized clothes, you'd get 3 rails in there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back