Best way to fill a gap between plasterboard and wood architrave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gap of 10-18mm on the hallway ceiling, as it meets the architrave of the landing/staircase:

IMG_2994.JPG
IMG_2995.JPG

I was wondering how to fill it, to avoid cracking? Someone said I need plasterboard beading, but I'm not sure how I would use that? Someone else said to use scrim tape and 2 layers of filler? Any suggestions appreciated

Sponsored Links
I've actually used expanding foam in situations exactly like that and will probably go to hell for it.

Why not cut it back and use a larger (wider) piece of plasterboard?

I'm just decorating, I can't mess about with the plasterboard . Really looking for a way to fill the hole...

I've actually used expanding foam in situations exactly like that and will probably go to hell for it.

Would you then cut it back and caulk it?

Sponsored Links
Anything paintable that cures (caulk) is likely to shrink back in a gap that size. Can you not cover it with a flat trim?

Anything paintable that cures (caulk) is likely to shrink back in a gap that size. Can you not cover it with a flat trim?

Could you link to an example Noseall?

Most builders merchants/sheds have a mouldings or beadings section. As do plastic stockists which stock a plastic equivalent. I'd be thinking some kind of timber single bull nose 8mm thick by 40mm wide trim or summat.

Thanks for the link Noseall. The trouble is the plasterboard is flush with the architrave at some places, and a few mil higher in others.

Ok, I think I need to do as you say and use some flat trim over both the architrave and the plasterboard

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back