Best way to finish an internal block wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are my options for finishing my internal block wall of my extension and what are the advantages /disadvantages of each method?

Sponsored Links
image.jpg

Sponsored Links
because of the speed the water exits the cement and enters the block will cause it to show hairline crack, yes.

Explaining on how to do this is not ideal, I'll let the experts on here guide you, or you could have a reputable local plasterer guide you on that.

Fix plasterboards to the wall using dry wall adhesive.

Advantages are it is swift and easy to apply the finishing coat.

Disadvantages are that its moderately more difficult to fix to.

Builder is offering to install multi foil insulation on the inside side of the external walls. Is this generally more efficient than the insulation boards we're talking about here. What would you guys recommend and at what thickness?

Is this extension a new build? If so, why wasn't the insulation fitted in the cavity?

If you are trying to upgrade the insulation internally due to restrictive wall thickness (cavity) issues then rigid board every time.

The new extension has 50mm Quinn /Celotex boards in the cavity. Inside the extension he has suggested 25mm insulated boards instead of my request for cement and then plastered walls onto the grey blocks.

For the rest of the house which has been gutted back to the brick wall, he has offered me either multi foil or the Quinn / Celotex insulated boards again. I may lose a bit of space but I'm ok with that as the house is cold and old but wondering which is better / recommended by others here.

I would have expected the details of the insulation to be fixed before you started, in order to get building regs approval. Why are you only now considering this?

You need to work out how insulated you need/want the walls to be, and calculate how much insulation is needed to achieve that, and trade that off against cost and any room size reduction.

Building regs is not required on the additional stuff that I am doing as an optional extra. Even the building regs guy has said that to me unless I'm doing every inch of the house.

It's not a compulsory thing hence looking at options as builder has offered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back