Best way to fit a garden gate to a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I need to have a full height garden gate to block off my sideway. I may buy a cheapish metal one, or if I have time, strip and paint an old internal door that I have (it looks like this: http://www.nextdoordoors.co.uk/file...65d9a31e48008bc6ac59_LPD L&B Oak back rt.jpg)

My question: I will fix it to the side of the house (brickwork), but am not sure if I need to first affix a piece of timber to the house and fix the gate to that, or if I need to fix it directly to the house with some heavy duty bolt (no idea what sort, will come to that!)

any thoughts?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Please note, i'm a diyer, not a pro, but i do know that a well hung door/gate (forgive the expression) needs hinges in line. You could get away with screwing hinges to brickwork, but i'd strongly recommend a piece of timber, especially if it's a heavy door/gate and you use three hinges.

Unless it's a hardwood door an internal door will rot quickly.Timber to fix to house depends on dimensions, you may need a timber t fill any gap should the door be too narrow.

I fixed a piece of 75mm treated fencepost to the house wall. You can get a rain cap for the top. Treat the top and bottom surfaces by soaking in Cuprinol or other spirit preserver as this is where rot will start.

As there was a garage on the other side of my wall, I was able to use galvanised studding passing right through the wall with large washers and nuts on the inside. This will not come loose like a bolt into brickwork might when the gate rattles or slams.

then just hang the gate on the post. Stainless hinges are preferable as steel will rust fast outdoors due to movement on the pin.

If you are using a wooden door or gate, protect at least the top against rainwater as it will swell and rot first. A piece of metal or plastic strip overlapping the top will do.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for your help - have measured up over the weekend, and will be going with the timber fixed to the wall approach, a well painted door, and a decent amount of water deflection on top and bottom.

cheers!

Cut the top of your wall timber off at 45deg to deflect the rain too!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back