Best way to install clothes rails in alcove?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a small wardrobe space as seen in the pic below and am looking to install couple clothes rails. The problem is there is not stud either side where I want to fit the rail. I can use strong plasterboard fixings but I suspect these will eventually fail given the weight and constant use of the rails.

Any thoughts? Many thanks.

4A56B6A9-C421-4A04-A93F-97D30AC11C2A.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure whether you mean the rails to be directly in front of us, or around the bend in the unseen bit.

I'm not necessarily saying this is the exemplar solution but what I would do, or at least consider, is cutting the rail an inch or two too long for the available width, then drilling a hole in the plasterboard either end of where the rail is to be installed to accommodate the round brackets installed the wrong way round so that the metal goes into the plasterboard and then finagling the rail into position.

You could consider a "goal post" arrangement? The sides of the goal post could reach the floor or skirting to take the downward weight and then the plasterboard fixings would only really serve to stop it falling forwards or backwards. Something as thing as a strip of wood skirting would probably suffice..

Sponsored Links
Agree with the timber concept, or consider tube clamps.

basically a similar system to what’s used for handrails. Often used in trendy stores.
Galvanised or powder coated tube and cast fixings. Can be floor mounted

Agree with the timber concept, or consider tube clamps.

basically a similar system to what’s used for handrails. Often used in trendy stores.
Galvanised or powder coated tube and cast fixings. Can be floor mounted
I did this in my wifes walk in wardrobe, it looks a bit OTT but she wanted as many rails as as possible at different heights. I used https://www.themetalstore.co.uk/ for all the fixings...
ffffffff.jpg

If you actually want the rail mounted on the wall rather than on legs, I would say the most important consideration so as to avoid the fixings being pulled out is to ensure that the rail be totally rigid. If it bows in the middle and it is attached or held firmly at the end then it will tend to lever the screws out, whereas if it is rigid the weight will act directly down at the ends and you may even be all right with normal wall plugs, so long as you take great care to avoid shattering the plasterboard during the drilling, plugging and screwing. I.e. drill slowly with a round bit (not a masonry bit), do not force the plug into the hole, don't use an over sized screw.

8BB4E819-2AC1-4F92-B2CA-0FD84246F096.jpeg
Folks- I was trying to find out where the studs were in this alcove so I used magnets as seen in the pic. However, I also ran a stud finder/metal detector along the wall, every corner of this alcove sets off the metal detector. It is the full corner section in each of the four areas of the alcove. I have highlighted one such area in red. Does anyone know why this would be? Surely there can’t be pipes in every corner… thanks

Last edited:
There could be metal stud, or your stud finder could simply be fibbing to you (sorry, I reckon they are more trouble than they are worth)

Strip of timber up both sides with holes drilled to accept pole , all force then transmitted down thru timber giving a strong support . 2x1” should do it.
whilst 2x1 will work i find 4x1" gives a much more pleasing appearance more chunky more pleasing and gives a platform above to be used for a shelf whilst leaving enough room to hang a hanger on the rail

whilst 2x1 will work i find 4x1" gives a much more pleasing appearance more chunky more pleasing and gives a platform above to be used for a shelf whilst leaving enough room to hang a hanger on the rail
I meant a vertical timber , not horizontal .

Found out today that it is likely to be metal studs as there are no pipes that run in the alcove.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back