Best way to remove this radiator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

I need to remove this radiator as I am replacing the skirting board in the bedroom and also I got the room skimmed recently and didn't get the rad removed, don't know why I didn't though :rolleyes: , so I need to skim behind it myself.
Anyway here are 2 pictures showing the rad and it's layout, as you can see the pipes come down from the roofspace in a box section. It's a combi-boiler also.

Thanks in advance.

an0hmf.jpg

2i2a1og.jpg

As you can see from the first image, the plaster needs tidied up before I can paint.

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Close the TRV (in first picture) by turning to 0.

Close the lockshield valve (opposite end) by removing white plastic cap and turning brass spindle clockwise.

Now put down some plastic bin liners or simular, to protect the carpet, and some old towels on top to soak up spillage ( you will get some).

Get something to collect water in, paint tray is good, and a bucket. On the lockshield end loosen the large nut, at this point a small amount of water will come out then stop, you now need to open the bleed valve to allow air in (small square nut at top of radiator.

Once fully drained undo nut on TRV side (small one nearest the rad) then lift and remove rad from wall brackets.

CAUTION!!!!!! The rad will have a small amount of black water in it, tip this in the bucket, dont get it on the carpet as it wont come out.

;) Goodluck

Craig

;)

Thanks very much Craig for the help!

One other thing, how to fit the new clips to the new skirting? I assume the pipes must be slid into the clips? This is not going to be possible.

Whast your opinions?

Hold that thought, just thinking there, surely I could just screw new clips onto new skirting, move the pipes slighlt then put the skirting in place then just pop the pipes into the new clips.

DOes that sound plausible?

Sponsored Links
Hold that thought, just thinking there, surely I could just screw new clips onto new skirting, move the pipes slighlt then put the skirting in place then just pop the pipes into the new clips.

DOes that sound plausible?

Thats the ticket, now your thinking outside the box :LOL:

;)

You have probably already done this job now, but I would add, support the vertical pipework and valves when undoing the connection to the radiator. I learnt this the had way and have a radiator 30mm lower than it used to be as the pipework buckled when the nut didn't want to come off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back