Best way to repair gap between sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What would be the best way to repair the gap between a double socket and fuse socket the plaster has fallen out.

I'm sure I repaired it before using ronseal ready mixed filler,but the gaps quite large and I had trouble getting the filler to stay in line between the plugs.

I've got some Toupret in the garage would that be strong enough? Also any idea how I can keep the filler straight.

Probably a daft question but I've some ronseal high permance filler but it says for wood but it sets rock hard within 30 mins don't suppose I could use that?

IMG_20220515_155316.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Sorry. Missed that you already had Toupret.

Probably wedge some Hardboard or stiff Plastic against the outer or inner edge of the Backboxes to create an edge to fill against

I've fixed a similar gap with a couple of offcuts of plasterboard stuck together with 'No more nails'. Once set, only a tiny amount of filler is need to make good. :)

I'd swap for https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Produc...Pfvi8vvP6nRUEYcygd6U6Y9yRqlrXyc0aAtBLEALw_wcB

For filling look at lightweight filler.

Often I find a mess worse than that so pva and mix filler up really thick like clay and shape in.

The plasterboard trick above also works as quick drying along with filler
Ooh I like that swap out the boxes and put that in.

Struggling to find the metal back boxes around here to pick up tomorrow

Would one of these be okay instead?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/appleby-...lTr-kFMmrK6KDMfkYzYaAqk6EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or is it worth waiting a couple of days and getting a metal box?

Last edited:
The plastic is for plasterboard stud walls.
You need the metal ones.

Find a electrical trade centre tomorrow

Probably a daft question but I've some ronseal high permance filler but it says for wood but it sets rock hard within 30 mins don't suppose I could use that?

View attachment 269785

I often use 2 pack filler to fill deep gaps around sockets. Your sockets are set back very deep. When dealing with gaps like the one in your photo. I use plastic from a cut up milk bottle to create "walls" and then push the 2 pack filler in. I monitor the rate at which it hardens, remove the plastic and the cut away the excess filler using a wide filling knife. You need to do it before the filler fully hardens.

Sometimes I then use soft filler such as Toupret Redlite over the top.

Basic information on how I do it.
Masking tape around back box then around length of wood.
Tape the wood to the wall either side so back box is in correct position floating in the large hole.
Blob some filler behind metal back box. Wait for that to set holding back box in correct position.
Remove wood and back box is spot on level with wall surface and bang on horizontal level.
Now fill around.

If in hurry use 2 packs wood filler as sets in 5 mins to fit back box then fill around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back