Best way to seal insulate behind Garage Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm currently insulating and boarding my garage out and not sure the best way forward for behind the garage door.

The garage door is staying in place and i'm building a stud wall (cls 38 x 89) behind it and going to fill with 90mm celotex.

I'm not sure if this would be warm enough so was also thinking of also using 60mm celotex friction fitted directly behind the door garage door in the brick recess.

Is this a good or bad idea?

Also what's the best way to seal the garage door?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'm confused

Are you using the door or not? If not, just do the same as you are doing to the walls

Sorry I should have been more clear. The door is staying in place but not going to be used. I going to do the same as the walls but wasn't sure if 90mm celotex in a stud frame alone won't be enough insulation due to the garage door and garage door gaps.

Wanted some input on weather or not to use some more insulation and also if or not to seal up the garage door gaps before I finish the timber frame.

Last edited:
Have you considered replacing the up-and-over door with two vertically hung doors and giving yourself a 500mm deep storage space that's accessible from outside? My neighbours taken that approach and shelved most of it, so it's a home for all the messy junk (and his bike) that you don't want in the house.

Sponsored Links
Hi garyo, thanks for your reply. I don't really need the extra space as the garage has a loft area that's already boarded out on the one side. Also not the biggest fan of the extra costs involved. I'm more worried about making sure it's stays as warm as possible in their.

After some other input I was thinking of sealing around the garage door with expanding roam. Then putting up a sheet of dpm around around the garage door / recess and then insulate with 60mm celotex which will then bring it inline with the brickwork and lintel.

Now because I've already setout the studwork I will be left with a 25mm gap between the 60mm celotex / brick / lintel and the 90mm celotex / timber frame wall.

I'm not sure if it's better to fill this gap with more celotex or something else or leave it. Not sure if filling the 25mm gap is going to bridge everything and make it perform worse.

hi did you manage to complete this ? i am looking to do the same and am wondering how you went about it ?

thanks brian

Hi All,

I'm currently insulating and boarding my garage out and not sure the best way forward for behind the garage door.

The garage door is staying in place and i'm building a stud wall (cls 38 x 89) behind it and going to fill with 90mm celotex.

I'm not sure if this would be warm enough so was also thinking of also using 60mm celotex friction fitted directly behind the door garage door in the brick recess.

Is this a good or bad idea?

Also what's the best way to seal the garage door?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back