Best way to silicone between door frame and tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm not overly happy with the silicone sealant between the doorframe and where the tiling begins (a few millimetres) in my bathroom. Basically, the sealant isn't in a straight line all the way down.

Should I re-do it by scraping off the silicone from the tiles with a blade or a removing tool and then re-do it myself using the gun? If so, what is the best way to achieve a straight line... should I just use masking tape?

Thanks very much

Sponsored Links
There's a gap between your tiles and frame? I'd ask why, but that's irrelevent i guess, save to say that i'd have used caulk, as i'm guessing this isn't a 'wet' area? That would have solved you problem as it would just smooth into your tile lines without leaving a defined line.
But seeing as you're wanting to fill the gap with silicone, you could use masking tape, it does leave a nice line but the edge will be quite thick as opposed to a fingered edge that would usually feather down to nothingness.
For what you're doing i'd use the tape matey.

Others may have better ideas though.

I actually bought a silicone profiling tool from JML, its fantastic, and my tile-to-bath silicone line is spot on. :)

Thanks. To be honest it is a wet area so I think silicone would be needed.

Is removing the silicone with a stanley knife the best bet?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If you score down one edge, you should be able to peel most of it off in one go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back