Best way to use silicon sealer

I have used silicone ever since it came on the market and I use a moist finger. How you moisten you finger is up to you :oops:. Saliva or water that is!
The excess silicon will still come off onto your damp finger as long as it is not too wet, but also your damp finger will move some of the excess along the line and even out the bead you applied.
Applying the correct quantity is the golden rule, you are only wanting to smooth it, not remove excess or spread it about. To do that you want to cut the nozzle to the size of bead required and apply it in one smooth continuousness movement. Alter the speed you move along if you want, but balance it by compensating on the trigger pressure, slow down apply less pressure. Or slow down with same pressure to create a heavier bead, but try not to stop completely without taking the nozzle away as this always causes lumpy build ups.

Sometimes when filling gaps around windows to brickwork I may require two or more different size nozzles if the gap varies.
So if you can get extra nozzles and experiment by cutting them at different sizes and practice on a couple of pieces of flat board joined to form a right angle internal corner.
Good luck.
Don't bother buying the cans of self ejecting silicone, buy a skeleton gun and use the 300ml tubes, as you can control the flow rate with the hand trigger. But even then, if you have to break away from a line (when going around taps etc) when you click the trigger off you will get a little ooze, don't be tempted to use the ooze when you start again, wipe it off and start with a clean nozzle.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back