Best way to use silicon sealer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have never got the hang of using silicon sealer without smearing it around.

Is there a good technique of cutting the nozzle, and only using the tube and finger to get a good finish?

Cheers, Camerart.

Sponsored Links
I cut the nozzle at 45 degrees, the size dependant on the gap I'm trying to fill.
Then with the longer side of the nozzle away from the surface push the tube away from you at a rate that keeps up with the silicon coming out. The shorter side of the nozzle then helps form the final profile whilst pressing the silicon into the gap.
Works for me!

Thank you both for your replies,

I'll try stephenw's suggestion first, then if I can't do it this way, I'll try yours s60alex.

Cheers, Camerart.

Sponsored Links
Cut the nozzle smaller than the strip width you desire.
However much sealant you intended to squeeze out, reduce it by half!
Use a water/detergent wetted finger to smooth out.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Cut the nozzle smaller than the strip width you desire.
However much sealant you intended to squeeze out, reduce it by half!
Use a water/detergent wetted finger to smooth out.

Looks like a good tip thanks,

Camerart.

Dont use a wet finger.

All that does is stop the silicone sticking to your finger.

If it doesnt, where else will it go? All over whatever your putting the silicone on.
Also, silicone doesnt stick to water so if you have left damp on the work you cant touch up very easily.

Apply a small bead, make it as even in thickness as you can. Any variations in the bead will cause problems.
This is the most important part!

Then, with a dry finger, smooth the bead.

Any excess silicone sticks to your finger, not the work. If too much builds on your finger, wipe it on a cloth. If you've put to much on, the excess will want to come out either side of your finger. Dont let this happen.

If you got the bead size right there wont be any excess build up anyway.

Apply ,even pressure. Not to much, just lightly. If you need to adjust the silicone size/shape (say the gap widens a bit) you can do this by changing finger pressure or finger angle.

I also cut the nozzle straight, not at an angle. I find that easier to lay a neat even bead.

Make sure when you're running your finger along the edge it doesn't rub against any exposed sharp edges near the work though. Particularly as silicone really smarts in a cut.

Sadly speaking from experience here!

Anyone use masking tape? I did this on my worktops and tiling joints in the kitchen, it gave a really neat, tight line of silicone and I am very pleased with the results.

I also used sealant on the internal corner tile joints so that any movement in the pipe boxing and windowsills etc will not result in as much cracking.

Just a thought!

Fanny finger and spit.
Otherwise- first finger and spit .
Years of experience -- .
Keep a few tissues handy for wiping your .
lips

By far the best way to do this is with a silicone profiling tool - they are <£10.

Just search for 'Fugi kit' and you should find similar results.

These can be purchased on eBay cheaply:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silicone-...Plumbing_MJ&hash=item27c8d04a44#ht_500wt_1317

Alex

Hi,

Good tool, but I think the silicone I have is not as creamy,more sticky. Will it work with proper silicone?

Cheers, Camerart.

I bought one, made a right mess with silicon, may work if you have perfect 90 degree angle , but that's rarely the case so silicon slips round the edges.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back