Best way to wire downlighters ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am putting 2 sets of main halogen (no transformer) downlighters in to my kitchen/utility area (kitchen 2.5m x 3.5m x 3m with 9 lights / utility area 3m x 2m x 2.4m with six lights). They are on separate switches for each area.

In order to wire them is it better to take each 'row of 3' from a junction box off the lighting circuit ... or do I just wire them in series one after the other on each circuit ?

Or does it not make any real difference ?

thanks

Jon

Sponsored Links
if you wire them in series thye will not be very bright.

I would loop from one to hte other

Sponsored Links
surely in series is looping one the the next and so on... or am i missing something here?

you are missing something.

series is as follows

take a buch of lamps (lamps 1,2 & 3) each lamp has 2 terminals, lets say A and B

series

from supply to A on lamp 1 from lamp 1 B to lamp 2 A from lamp 2 B to lamp 3 A from lamp 3 B back to supply

paralel

from supply to lamp 1 A, from lamp 1 A to lamp 2 A, from lamp 2 A to lamp 3 A

from supply to lamp 1 B, from lamp 1 B to lamp 2 B, from lamp 2 B to lamp 3 B

I trust this helps?

Now I'm confused ??

I guess my question wasn't very clear ...

Do I wire them 1>2>3>4>5>6>7>8>9

or

............./ >1>2>3
Junc box >1>2>3
............\ >1>2>3

thanks

Jon

also ...

I presume that this lighting wiring and putting replacement sockets in my kitchen ring main comes under the new 'non-diy' regs ?

Do I have to get a qualified electrician to do the work or can I do it and the local council inspector has to sign off on what I have done ?

If I have to get an electrician in what do I look for in the yellow pages or is there anyone on the forum in SE Glasgow (Rutherglen) that is looking for a days work ?

untitledmz3.jpg

Crafty ... thanks for that pic ... I meant 'parallel' from your diagram

What I was asking though is it better to run them in three rows of three from a junc box rather than one row of nine ?

thanks

Jon

It normally comes down to what access there is to run the cables. At 230V, there isn't a lot of voltage drop, so wire them how its most convenient for you. If you have a lot of wires going to one point, an MK 30 amp junction box is a lifesaver, because they have 3 rows of 4 terminals, it makes it so much easier to wire, especially if using flex.

As its a kitchen / utility, I take it theres no dimmers, can I recommend these:

(clicky)

They are energy saving mains downlighters, and will retrofit standard lamps where the fitting has a flylead and retaining clip for the lamp. We have these in the bathroom, and I am very impressed. They throw out so much more light. :)

I think we need to define peoples interpretations of technical terms.Series to us sparkys is, well series, but to the OP it meant the cable from one to the next, to the next and so on which if refering to the T+E cable could be seen as correct.
But as I'm mumbling now I'll leave this one.........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back