Number of downlights in kitchen

Downlighters reflecting from a glossy worktop create bright spots of light. These can be very tiring on the eyes.

An easy way to install them as the architect requires is to put up a suspended ceiling for them. No restriction on layout and no major damage to the real ceiling.

Sponsored Links
The downloads were bought from Wickes. 10 for £20 odd. I have 20 lights for £40. Cheap yes, but do the job, and later down the line i can replace the bulbs with lower w LED.

This is the kitchen \ diner. divide right down the middle (back to front)

Sponsored Links
sorry, i dont see two spotlights looking better than several spots. the lights become a feature, and i cant see two looking very interesting

I don't like downlights in kitchens, you need millions of them and cooking smoke and smells gets behind them and into the floor space above, quite noticable when the floor is open above!

Being cold space will increase the amount of condensed water vapour that gets through the lamp housings leading to damp and possibly damp rot in the cold space.

DIY SOS last night, i was shocked to see basically what im trying to do in the same (ish) space.

193000_192921_54723_78281465_thumb.jpg

193000_192921_54724_46782056_thumb.jpg

193000_192921_54725_94142144_thumb.jpg

193000_192921_54726_89031011_thumb.jpg

This is almost exactly what im trying to achieve, ok, no skylights and the wall on the diner side does not protrude in.

They have used three spots on kitchen end and have skylights, i wont, so i think my thinking of lines of 3 is correct?

Again, no downlight haters, i will replace the bulbs later down the line.
And the cold roof is being probably ventilated.

I wonder how well it is lit at night when the camera lights are no longer available.

I also hope the consumer unit was not left with missing blanking plates.

As an slight aside re DIY SOS last night.
I had to laugh - in the last scene when the owners come out to thank the trades.
To the left of the front door there is the meter cupboard. Below it there is a small consumer unit (I'm hoping is IP55+!).

In the side of this a hole has been drilled and armoured cable enters this hole. No gland, nothing. It's maybe a temporary hook up and the feed to the garden bedroom(maybe), but it did make me sit up and smile. Have a peek on iPlayer and see.

As an slight aside re DIY SOS last night.
I had to laugh - in the last scene when the owners come out to thank the trades.
To the left of the front door there is the meter cupboard. Below it there is a small consumer unit (I'm hoping is IP55+!).

In the side of this a hole has been drilled and armoured cable enters this hole. No gland, nothing. It's maybe a temporary hook up and the feed to the garden bedroom(maybe), but it did make me sit up and smile. Have a peek on iPlayer and see.

DIY sos is a load of crap at times and sometimes rouge traders, where they slag of work that's not finished, saying this isn't right, that isn't right - well yeah, there's a reason why, it's not finished yet!

Sounds like the 'electrician' couldn't be bothered to finish in last nights case.

FYI This is a cold roof, nothing above.
Then basically it will be impossible for you to fit any recessed lights without breaking multiple Building Regulations, and as bernard said, risking the integrity of the roof structure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back