Recommend how many 50w downlights for kitchen 8m x 2.5m?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How many downlights do you recommend for a kitchen 8m x 2.5m? I will be using 12v 50w MR16 fittings on a dimmer switch.

Sponsored Links
Zero.

I recommend instead for room illumination the use of lights which are designed to provide room illumination, not lights which are designed to provide limited highlighting or spotlighting of particular features or display items.

it would need its own lighting circuit
at around 3 accross the room 450/800/800/450
and 10 down the room 400/800/800/800/800/800/800/800/800/800/400

30 x50 = 1500w about £1.50 for 10 hrs at 10p a unit or £550 a year for you kitchen ceiling lights

Sponsored Links
and why a dimmer switch?
just switch them in rown, and odds and evens, then turn half of them off if you want less light... binary dimming..

as BAS says.. downlights are for showrooms and art galleries where you want to hilight certain things or areas..
for general task lighting they suck..

if you want "mood" lighting then fit under cupboard lights for highlighting your counters and spangly gadgets on it, and have glass doors and cabinet lights to show off those fancy plates and glasses..

Many thanks for the replys. So it seems like I should go for CFL downlights. How many do you suggest for my kitchen (8m x 2.5m). Also how long do CFL downlight bulbs take to warm to get to full brightness, or this not applicable?

I am also having a wetroom installed which is 2m x 2m, so I assume you would suggest CFL downlights for there as well?

it would need its own lighting circuit
at around 3 accross the room 450/800/800/450
and 10 down the room 400/800/800/800/800/800/800/800/800/800/400

That's what architects draw on a plain piece of paper. :rolleyes:

When you come to do the job you'll find that the position of joists, pipes, cables and other obstructions in the ceiling make it very difficult to have an ordered layout.

I had an architect position 6 downlights on the drawings of the ceiling of a bathroom. This would have been just fine until I pointed out that the (pitched roof) ceiling - that he had designed - was made of glass!

Many thanks for the replys. So it seems like I should go for CFL downlights. How many do you suggest for my kitchen (8m x 2.5m). Also how long do CFL downlight bulbs take to warm to get to full brightness, or this not applicable?
When new, within a couple of minutes. Towards the end of their life, up to 4 minutes.

More suitable than a CFL GU10 would be this:

//www.diynot.com/shop/Low_Energy_18W_PL_Downlight_C_w_Lamp__2_Bezels__IP44/245478

PL downlights get to full brightness almost straight away, and behave like traditional fluorescent tubes. Try to get them with electronic ballasts - instant start. There are cheaper than that if you google.

So it seems like I should go for CFL downlights.
No, you shouldn't go for 2" diameter downlights at all. Fiddling with the type of lamp that you use does not change the fundamental flaw with them which is that they are not designed to light up a room space, and changing from incandescent lamps to CFLs or LEDs makes no difference to that.

I am also having a wetroom installed which is 2m x 2m, so I assume you would suggest CFL downlights for there as well?
No, I'd suggest using lights designed to provide room illumination.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back