Best wireless home alarm system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am after a wireless, easy to fit (if its possible) alarm system for our 3 bed semi. Front and back doors have been replaced with composite ones, so weak points of entry are french doors in the lounge, and a couple of the windows. We have a small dog so ideally pet friendly PIR's if possible (we dont have curtains for her to jump up and make move, I've heard these can set off pet friendly PIR sensors).

Any recommendations please? If possible one that can call a couple of phone numbers if triggered?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The best DIY wireless alarms are the ones that are still in the shop waiting to be bought.

Bite the bullet and install a wired alarm system.

The best DIY wireless alarms are the ones that are still in the shop waiting to be bought.

Bite the bullet and install a wired alarm system.

I was hoping you woulsnt say that, but had a feeling it was coming Bernard. Whats involved with a wired one? What kind of cable is used for sensors etc? We are planning on having a fair bit of work doing indoors over the next year or so, including plastering and new floors etc, so it could be viable. Is it a standard cable used for the runs, no matter what system you install? Am thinking I could run the cable in preperation for the alarm as we do each room

Run 8 core alarm cable to all detectors , keypad, bell box , door contacts internal sounder this way there will be spare cores . Don't use BT or cat 5 cable it will work ok but it's prone to breaking , run BT cable for the phone line and cat 5/6 from the router this way it will be future proof ....

Sponsored Links
Most alarm modules ( PIRs door contacts, bells etc ) require 4 or 6 wires from the panel. Running in 8 core would ensure future upgrades were possible without putting new cables in.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Index/Alarm_Cable/index.html provides details of the type of cable required.

It isn't difficult to run in alarm cables when putting in new floors. 8 core cable is 6 mm in diameter and very flexible so very easy to install.

Thanks guys
Will try and draw a rough floor plan this coming week and attach it here and see if where I want PIR's fitted etc is suitable. Is there a preferred alarm brand/PIR (Im assuming you need everything the same make?). Will only need 3 or 4 PIR (I think), so not too fussed on price (within reason obviously)

Thanks again

One advantage with wired is that one can mix and match equipment from different manufacturers to get the best system for the property. Mix and match is not possible with wireless as the communication protocols vary between manufacturers and very few are compatible with other makes.

Go for a visonic powermax complete , by far the best wireless panel on the market.
I wouldn't fit another hard wired alarm ever after fitting these and its so versatile.

Don't be put off by what Bernard said earlier , wireless has come along way and are far more reliable from previous years.

Don't be put off by what Bernard said earlier , wireless has come along way and are far more reliable from previous years.
No matter how much "wireless" has "improved" there is one simple fact that applies to all wireless communications.

If the radio channel is blocked by transmissions from another transmitter than the alarm system is out of action. The best it can do is to give a warning that it is being jammed.

One manufacturer recognises that jamming can be a problem. The wireless siren has jamming detection and sounds if it is jammed. To neighbours this sounds like a false alarm. The manufacturers recommends turning OFF the jamming detection if there are too many of these false alarms.

It is true that the protocols and equipment used in radio communications have improved but wireless systems operating on licence exempt frequencies cannot be as reliable as a wired system

Bernard, do you actually have any experience of wireless system of today?

I can think of many systems we have installed that have NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER.

Even systems 8/10yrs old, if serviced correctly and have ALL the associated batteries replaced at the recognised intervals,and before if necessary, experience shows that there are no more problems with wireless than wired.

As regards the Californian comment, anyone ever seen or researched USA alarm equipment?

(sorry for shouting)

Bernard, do you actually have any experience of wireless system of today?
Yes, most recently in assisting with determining the cause of a telemetry system failure. But wireless today is no different from wireless during the 12 years that I was designing equipment using wireless communication systems. If the channel is blocked by extraneous transmissions then no matter how clever the protocols are the system will not be able to communicate.

There will be many systems installed that have no problems from extraneous transmissions because there are no extraneous transmissions in the area.

There will be many systems that have lost data packets due to extraneous transmissions but have recovered by detecting that a packet has been lost and repeating the packet when the extraneous transmissinn has ceased. There are various ways to detect that packets have been but all method require that the system is using two way wireless communicate.

Go visonic Powermax complete...great alarm, we have over 300 in the field......superb!
I fitted a pyronix today BUT I still prefer visonic.

Any installer fitting just wired in todays climate would be out of business within 6 months.

Bernard - I don't know you OR anything about you BUT I think you need to get with modern times.....Very few companies
fit wired systems in existing properties!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back