Betacom 30c condensing combi boiler short cycling (I think)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have recently added another radiator in the system of my newly fitted Glow worm Betacom 30c condenser combi boiler, so I obviously had to drain my system down to install this addition. I now have a total of 8 rads, 3 of them being very large doubles perhaps 2 metres or more in length.

I flooded up the system again via the filling loop and bled all the rads while they were cold, they may require a little bit of balancing but over all I dont think they are too bad.

I turned on my CH to see how my new radiator would perform and the all the rads including my new one got nice an warm around about the same time as each other in around about 30 minutes.

After that 30 minute period I noticed the temp lights at my boiler starting to drop off from 80 down to the last light 20, the boiler then pumped lukewarm water all through my system for about 3 minutes before firing up again...The temperature at the boiler picked up quickly but only to drop right down again as soon as it reached a full bank of lights again.

Now when ever I run my central heating this cycle starts straight away and all the rads get warm at best but never nice and hot.

Is this what they call "short cycling?"

Browsing round the web has suggested perhaps my boiler is too large for my heating system and the heat exchanger cannot get rid of the hot water quick enough thus shutting down to avoid overheating

Whilst this is happening my return pipes back to the boiler are never much more than lukewarm.

If all this is the case, is there any fix I can do or am I completely screwed?

Thanks in advance guys, any help will be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Was it ok before? Sounds more like a pump fault,ntc or blocked hydraulic either in boiler or pipework

To be honest, the radiators have never really got hot even before I added the extra rad, I have been abroad for a few months so I havent been able to observe the new system and my wife is not very clued up on these matters.

I dont want to confuse anyone here by suggesting that it all happened after I fitted the extra rad, I'm leading to believe the problem existed straight after comissioning but it's the first time it came apparent to me when I see the lights on the boiler rapidly raising and then dropping off(cycling)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back