Better soundproofing 4" timber partition vs 4" blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need to partition a room off. the room isn't huge so space is at a premium.

I know there isn't much in it, but wanted to know what offers better soundproofing - 4" blocks plastered or 4" timber studwork with plasterboard ?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
With soundproofing higher density is always best. With no air gaps - so detailing is important.

So high density blocks are best, but as you say you want a wall that will "partition a room off", can your floor take high density blocks?

Otherwise it is interleaved/staggered timber studwork (ie it is two stud walls, interleaved with each other so that half the studs hold up one side of the plasterboard wall and the other hold up the other) filled with high density rock wool type material, covered with sound reducing (high density) plasterboard.

Width of wall can be narrower than shown in image. As long as stud only touching one sheet of the plasterboard.

Again with no air gaps - so detailing is important

SFK

Screenshot 2019-12-13 at 12.55.34.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks all. I do know about the staggered timber partitions.

I can tell by looking at the floor that there was a concrete block 4" wall in there originally which was taken out to open up the space, which I'll just reinstate if its better for sound insulation!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back