Between the door frame and the block work, what is it called?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, long time reader first time poster, so please be gentle with me :)

I'm replacing my front door because it is awful, ugly, warped, and drafty. My house is old (cira 1918) and a bit weird.

Take a look at the picture attached. Before I can hang my new door I need to replace the wooden bit I am pointing at that sits between the standard size door frame and the block work. Is there a "proper" name for this bit, it's hard to find information on the best approach because I don't know the right words to use or the right questions to ask!

Anyone have experience replacing this "outer frame" (as I have taken to calling it)? If I cave and get a chippy to do it, what ballpark price might I expect to pay?

Sponsored Links
That looks to be a bit wierd. Think the door has been replaced before and it looks like the present door 'frame' has been inserted into the the original door 'frame'.
What you are asking about is known as the 'door casing' and on houses of that age most likely you would have a 32inch door. I guess your existing door is less than that.
Have bought a replacement door? If not then may I suggest you have a new plastic one including the frame that fits in to the reveal (up to the bricks on either side) unless you have restrictions.

Ah yes, suddenly it starts to make more sense. In my head this "outer frame" was structural and the door frame was attached to it. Now I see, the architrave/casing sits on top of the door frame.

Right, that makes my life easier.

Thanks to you both :)

Sponsored Links
But why aren't you just replacing the door. The damage at the bottom of the architrave can be cut out and repaired, but it you take the existing frame out, then your door will extend past the corner of the block underneath the architrave.

Not sure I follow you Tic, the existing frame will come out, a new frame of similar size will go in. Don't mean to be obtuse, but if you could explain it to meet like I'm stupid I would appreciate your time, ta.

If you prise off the architrave you will be able to see what's going on.

You may also be able to see something from the inside.

Architrave is just a trim. I can't see that either your door or frame need to be replaced.

Plastic doors are vile.

My fault TM; as the new frame will be the same size, there won't be an issue. I assumed that the new frame would stretch to the blockwork to neaten things up. It's been built a bit stangely, as the step at the bottom with the little piece of wood on it is out of character. Somethings been messed around at some point.

I still think you should take off the architrave to see how it's been done. Don't order a frame or door until you've measured the true opening. And photograph the inside for us too.

A 1918 doorframe might have been partially built into the brickwork, but your house looks like blocks not bricks. Is it stone, or a later added porch or something?

The whole house is concrete block.

I do happen to have a couple of pictures to hand but I'll try to take a couple more detailed ones later.

Note the weird concrete step under the frame on the inside picture.

I know it's been said I don't need to replace this door, but it is twisted/warped and damn ugly. Doesn't close at the top, lets a steady breeze through the bottom :/

It's worth noting also, our house front is exposed to driving wind and rain, so getting the front airtight is a bit of a priority!

Last edited:
If the doors warped, you just need to take off and refit the door stops to compensate. A bristle draught strip at the bottom of the door will help, but might not stop the rain, so you might need to adjust the weatherboard at the bottom of the door.

The door frame has been trimmed inside and out.

as others have said architrave / skirting in a basic style with a pencil round is al it needs to match what you have.

Unfortunately the detailing of the existing frame cill isnt great -there seems to be no cill overhang for a drip. Possibly due to the weird arrangement at the sides.

the door frame is square with no mould so externally you could add brush strips.

the door looks like palisade style with minster or flemish glass -still in ok condition if you can get over the warp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back