Biais 24s Combi Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay guys thanks for your answers to my last post, you said diaphram for the hot water problem which was spot on, now for my real dilemma.

I phoned various plumbers to actually fix my hot water problem and as soon as I mentioned the Biasi boiler they did not want to know.

I was left with no option but to take out cover with British Gas Homecare at £27 pounds a month.

Day 1: Engineer appears at house, carrys out a full service and tells me the diaphram is the problem for not getting any hot water, bear in mind that my heating has been fine for years. He tells me that he does not have the right part to fit, so he will make an appointment for new part to be fitted tomorrow. But not in the morning as they do not fit parts in the morning?

Day 2: Another engineer arrives at house in afternoon with correct diaphram and within five minutes it's fitted and the hot water works again. he leaves the house and ten minutes later my wife phones me at work and tells me that there is no hot water now and the heating will not come on. she bitterly complains to British Gas call centre, another appointment made for the following day.

Day 3: A young engineer appears at house and fiddles with the pump screw and emptys some water, adjust little air screw thingy on top of boiler, turns two white valves on my kitchen radiator which has no thermostat, bangs on pipes underneath boiler and tells me it's sludge, £700 hundred pounds for power flush. He also checks contacts inside boiler with his meter. He does however finally manage to get heating and water working.

He leaves my house, I turn the hot tap on and no water, I scream and phone call centre, another engineer comes out immediately and says the other engineer forgot to turn back on the blue valve under boiler, viola water comes on out of hot tap.

two hours later the radiators go cold, the boiler lights up and immediately shuts down, the temp goes to 60 and switches off, the needle does eventually rise to 90, but no effect on radiators, all still cold.

Day 4: 5am this morning, all the radiators fire up very hot through set timer, and the heating has been working all morning up till this time at 8.50am.

Please help, I need a good argument to get this damn Biasi Boiler fixed properly, this will be a total of five so called corgi registered engineers in total who cannot seem to get to the bottom of this intermittent fault, please bear in mind that my heating has been working for years, since the second engineer fitted the diaphram to fix hot water which did not last for long, my heating has now become a major problem.

Engineer will call today between 2.00pm and 6.00pm. need advice quickly, much appreciated.

I told British gas that if they cannot repair boiler then I want to cancel my cover.

The fan in top of boiler seems to be quite noisy, and the boiler sometimes sounds like my flippin stomach, water gurgling very noisily in the boiler.

Boiler is only five years old.

Stevie

Sponsored Links
Update: Engineer called today, cleaned all components including air pressure switch. Engineer told me that he has put the boiler on test mode and to contact call centre if any fault occurs.

After he left, fifteen minutes later the boiler lit up and the gas immediately turned off again and the radiators went cold, so returns the intermittent fault.

I screamed on the phone to call centre again who say that another engineer will be arriving shortly, this is the sixth engineer from British Gas, so far no parts have been fitted to fix the heating part of the boiler.

Will see what the engineer says today when he arrives.

Did the guy change both diaphragms? if i remember correctly,the left hand one is the main flow switch,which operates on both CH/DHW, the right hand one is the DHW,which is HW only (someone may be along shortly to correct me if im wrong)
Is the boiler actually locking out requiring a reset button to be pressed?

now you know why all the other plumbers/heating engineers didn't want to work on these boilers,,pile of rubbish, i wonder if you would be so quick to slag off the private corgi chaps who didn't want to repair it.

Sponsored Links
Trouble with these Biasis is that most are very poorly installed and the boilers suffer as a result, the boiler is however straightforward to work on.

I suggest you do a few simple checks yourself. The left hand circular brass lump contains the domestic diaphragm. With a hot water demand the diaphragm moves towards the right, setting the diverter valve in hot water mode. On the right hand end of the diverter a pin protrudes. This moves right to activate the switch. I suspect the diverter may be partially siezing. Check the pin fully retracts and extends with a hot water demand. There may be a problem with the internal parts of the diverter.

So far you have had a series of numpties....it's not possible to clean the air pressure switch, it either works or it doesn't. Only the very early APSs tended to give problems. AFAIK there is no such thing as a "test mode".

You could phone Biasi and get a contact of one of their service agents. Then contact BG and suggest they reimburse you since they are unable to repair the boiler and you will engage a Biasi eng.

The reason I said so called registered corgi engineers is because two engineers said they were not corgi registered.

I presume cut backs and savings and who givwes a **** methods, just bring in the money and to hell with customer service.

Well the engineer did not arrive back today, will come tomorrow.

My question is why does it take half a dozen engineers to try and repair a boiler, scratch your head syndrome indeed.

Everything in life is a pile of **** if it does'nt work properly.

Stevie

thank you all and thank you Gasguru for coming up with the best response..a bunch of numpties indeed.......test mode?......thats cowboy talk I gather from the engineer then....oh well......I told all the engineers I used this site.....hmm...amyway the bloody gas central heating is working on it's own accord again.....will see if it conks out and take note...thanks for the input on double diaphram.

It's just like the old saying..how many men does it take to change a light bulb?

Stevie

It only takes one engineer to fix a boiler! But it does have to be a competent boiler engineer!

These are very simple and easy to work on boilers! Very reliable too if the system is clean.

The test mode he mentioned is obtained by moving the number 4 DIP switch down. Its not really a test mode but it turns off the anticycling delay on CH and woud usually be used by an engineer when trying to diagnose faults like yours.

Tony

thats great info for me, the engineer says he will return on Tuesday.

Okay so it's not test mode as you say, hope this fault does get rectified once and for all.

Driving me nuts.

Cheers

Stevie :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back