Bidet - popup waste bad fit

OJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to fit an (Ideal Standard Reflections E476001) bidet, and cannot get a water-tight connection on the underside of the waste - it's almost as if the ceramic casting is uneven - have tightened it as far as I can go, and used various combinations of rubber washers and silicone, but it still weeps!

http://www.ideal-standard.co.uk/homeowner/productcatalogue.aspx?r=39&m=22&s=2#1198

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I should think the rubber washers you used should make up for the unevenness of the ceramic, thats of course its not way out!

Could be the leak is from the thread, as you can tighten as much as you want it will still weep from the thread if the underside of your waste hole is uneven. As suggested take a closer look at the waste hole and take it back if it is well out. Or you could use some Plumbers mait as much as I hate the stuff, it may just do the job.

Sponsored Links
Hi guys - many thanks for your advice - will see if I can get a basin mate type washer tomorrow....

Cheers,

OJ

:idea:

Hi - I tried a basin mate washer, but it is too thick, as it takes up all the thread on the waste fitting, which means I cannot fix the trap to the under side - any ideas?

Are you suggesting I get rid of the basin mate washer as well? If so, then surely I'm back to the problem of the ceramic/casting being uneven.....?

If the waste fitting is too short for a basin mate washer, then the alternatives are to replace the waste fitting with a longer one, or to pack the thread and seal the plain washer of the fitting you have.

To pack the threads, some use silicone sealant, some use plumber's mait, some use PTFE tape, some use hemp and boss white etc. etc.
There's about as many different ways as there are different plumbers. It's a matter of getting enough packing into the thread to keep the water in, but not so much that the backnut can't nip up the washer.

IME using silicone sealant between the washer and porcelain can cause it to squeeze out of the joint as you tighten the backnut, so I usually use plumber's mait.

If the waste fitting is too short for a basin mate washer, then the alternatives are to replace the waste fitting with a longer one, or to pack the thread and seal the plain washer of the fitting you have.

To pack the threads, some use silicone sealant, some use plumber's mait, some use PTFE tape, some use hemp and boss white etc. etc.
There's about as many different ways as there are different plumbers. It's a matter of getting enough packing into the thread to keep the water in, but not so much that the backnut can't nip up the washer.

IME using silicone sealant between the washer and porcelain can cause it to squeeze out of the joint as you tighten the backnut, so I usually use plumber's mait.

TicklyT - many thanks for the comprehensive and much valued response - my main concern is that the underside of the ceramic/casting is uneven, so I'm not sure if a plain washer would do the trick. To replace the waste fitting could be tricky, as it is a pop-up waste with a rod mechanism, if you know what I'm trying to describe. I wonder is it possible to message you privately, or email you, please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back