Bifold Doors near corner of bungalow - Scotland

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking to fit bifold doors in to a conservatory as close to the corner of our house - similar to the thread here:

Does the 665mm minimum distance from the corner apply in Scotland and if not can anyone point me in the direction of the relevant part of the regs? Doors will be around 3400mm width. It's a bungalow so only ceiling joists and roof timbers above.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I’ve just had a look through section 1 of the Scottish Techical Handbook but it has very few references to absolute figures or dimensions, instead referring to a series of British Standards - and I’m not trawling through them!

The 665mm minimum is only that in as such as most BCO’s would accept that as being ‘safe’. If you want less than that and a SE proves it’s ok then you can build what you want. There’s all sorts of modern designs which have picture windows directly in the corner of a building.

It's a bungalow so only ceiling joists and roof timbers above.
Having masonry above is not always a disadvantage - structurally. Reduction of return jambs is often not structurally problematic. But when it does need beefing up, it can be a right ball ache. Think wind posts, lots of digging, foundations, steel fabrication, heavy lifting, drilling etc...

Note the (grey) wind posts tucked into the internal blockwork reveals/jambs.

Hmm, proportions on that are wrong for me, goping by the coursing 2.1m doors, 2.4ish ceiling, 250 floor and 150 upstand I guess but not a great look.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Does the 665mm minimum distance from the corner apply in Scotland and if not can anyone point me in the direction of the relevant part of the regs? Doors will be around 3400mm width. It's a bungalow so only ceiling joists and roof timbers above
The 665mm is not for downward load, it’s for lateral restraint.

a wall of 3 bricks side x single storey height is considered sufficient to act as a buttress against lateral load (mostly wind)

You could get a structural engineer to do calcs and it’s possible it could be reduced.

If it was a new extension then it’s possible to cast a big steel like an angle into the foundation to do the job and reduce the wall thickness down to not much more than wall thickness

Hmm, proportions on that are wrong for me, goping by the coursing 2.1m doors, 2.4ish ceiling, 250 floor and 150 upstand I guess but not a great look.
Bonkers.
200mm joists.
24mm of deck.
50mm - zero furrings
30mm - zero pitch batten (because the roof has to slope back to front as well as crown in the middle).
150mm insulation.
150mm upstand.
And then a coping on top.

I had to revise the joist position (height wise) so that after all the materials were fixed on top, we were able to get the deck and subsequent upstand of lead, beneath the window sill. I think I set the ceiling height at about 2250mm.

Last edited:
Thanks, looks like I have a few options then. Will get some quotes / advice and go from there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back