Distance of door gap required from corner (build. Regs)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

What the minimum distance that a door could be placed from a corner?

This is for an external door (not an up and over, but a standard door to get into the garage from the house side) on a garage, Single skin DCB 100mm, apex roof aprox. 5m high.

I've looked up the building regs onine and it seems to suggest no less than 380mm from a corner unless the corner is a pier (which mine is). Now a helpful chap next door has suggest that building regs now require a minimum of 800mm or so.

Can anyone say one way or the other? I'd hope that the online regs are up to date (from planning.gov.uk I think it was)

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I have always known it at 18" (450mm) but a quick phone call to the BCO will tell you.

380mm is the minimum distance builders work to when setting out the window or door openings, from an external corner.

Thats great guys, thanks. I will check with BCO just in case though.

Ta.

C

Sponsored Links
(I take it that the measurement is taken fom the corner 'point' to the start of the doo gap?)

C.

To provide adequate butressing, the minimum specified in the Approved Document is 675mm. It used to be 330mm but not now

However, you can have it flush with the internal face, if you get some calcs done, or if the BCO agrees that the corner has sufficient support from other elements - such as a beam or floor joists

Just remember that the approved documents are just construction details that are (more or less) pre-approved. They are not the only way of complying with the regulations and in reality you can have anything you like providing you can demonstrate that it is safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back