Big gaps around door frame.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if I'm in the right section here, but my downstairs cupboard/porch has this big gap above the wooden door frame (see pics below).

What should I fill it with so it looks better and I can paint it?
I have expanding foam, plaster filler, blocks of wood to hand, but can buy whatever else is needed.

Help please lol? there's also that random gap to the top right.
This is like a small porch fixed on to the side of my property.

Sponsored Links
If it's an external door, you need something that will not hold water or prevent drainage/drying out. Expanding foam does sometimes trap water.

You can cover the inside with a piece of timber architrave, which will look neat if you paint it to match the doorframe.

I did pack a gap around my garage door with Climaflex pipe lagging. It is stiff plastic, foamed polythene, and does not absorb water. It is not soft plastic foam like a bath sponge.

The gap in the corner you could pack with sand and cement mortar and bits of brick or block. It was probably done before and has fallen out. Clean away dirt first.

I agree with JohnD. Fix a wide architrave around the door to cover the gap and paint it.

Sponsored Links
Ok, then you can use expanding foam. It is very sticky so cover surrounding surfaces with clingfilm, taped into place.

If you decide to use architrave, clean the gap well, put the architrave in place and drill your screwholes, then drill a few holes in a row near the bottom, and a row near the top, that the injector tube will fit into.

Wrap the architrave in clingfilm so the foam does not stick to it, punching out the holes. Screw it into place. Inject foam through the bottom holes, less than you think, until it expands out of the top holes. It will then expand and set in the gap. If it expands too much and pushes the architrave off, trim back the foam, when hard, with a serrated knife. do not try to do anything with it while it is sticky. You will need multiple pairs of disposable gloves, and clothes that don't matter. With practice you will get better.

P.s.

If it is internal and not draughty, you don't really need the foam. Architrave will do. But that's my tip for using foam if you ever do. It's good for holding wobbly doorfames into the wall as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back