Big old house - needs new boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm a newbie so be gentle !! Hiya all. I have just bought an old Victorian detached house and we are now planning the plan of attack ! First thing (well one of the first things) is a boiler setup. Currently we've got a floor mounted boiler in the kitchen (old skool looking thing) with a massive flue up through the old chimney - looks like if it were a horse you would shoot it. Upstairs there is a cylinder (all snuggled up in a red plastic blanket) and then in the roof space a water storage thingy.

So, the question is what do we need ? We'll have 2 bathrooms (one with a bath and 2 with showers), rads in every room (let me think - currently 14 or 15 I reckon, but may put another few in over time) and most importantly, 3 kids (all who like long showers) and a lovely wife who likes a bath. Me, I'm easy, 2 mins in and out, as long as I get wet and warm, I'm good.

Its been a few years since I last went boiler shopping and I know there have been lots of changes. To add to the confusion, I am an Aussie (although have lived here for 25 years, but went back about 6 years ago for a couple of years) and in Aus we have HOT WATER SERVICES which seem to be like a big cylinder but they are kept outside and seem to work like a big kettle from memory - is that like our cylinders over here ???

It seems like there are combi boilers, system boilers, open vent boilers, vented cylinders, unvented cylinders etc, etc, etc. I want efficient, good quality and as cheap a combination of whatever I need as possible (but don't want it going fffft every year - hence the good quality)

So, there you have it, any suggestions (brand as well as combination of goodies gratefully received!)

Many thanks all
Sean

Sponsored Links
How about: A big, unvented cylinder to supply high-pressure hot water to your showers, and a simple, heat only condensing boiler to heat the cylinder and your rads.

Good start......I think !

Is that the sort of system I need ? If so, brands would be great ! And sizes etc, it seems the cylinders come in a variety of sizes, I am guessing, but around 250l for the size of property ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back