big PC problem?

BR said:
heres where i have to back down and admit that i must be doing somthing wrong. But at 58 i've done well to get this far! Interesting to know that what you say can be done.

Don't think it's a case of you 'doing something wrong' BR, it's just that having had many years (too many) working with systems that run on MS OS's (god bless 'em) I've had the errrr.. 'opportunity' to find out the quickest way to get someones computer up and running again with minimal personal data loss.

Here's a quick tip for anyones who's interested.
Partition your drive, you only need a few gigabytes, and store all personal data, drivers, updates, downloads, e-mail settings and messages etc. on the partition (with todays larger drives being so cheap I also store a copy of any program installs). Then if you HAVE to reformat and reinstall you will only have to format C: All you need is on D: (or whatever) and it saves hunting around for discs, drivers and personal data loss. HTH

Sponsored Links
BR wrote:
heres where i have to back down and admit that i must be doing somthing wrong. But at 58 i've done well to get this far! Interesting to know that what you say can be done.

BR I'm also what is annoying called a "silver surfer" but I will never be too old to learn. Your advice in the electrics forum is much appreciated.

If you have the original Windows XP disk, try booting from it and navigate
to Repair Windows Using Recovery Console.

Folow these instructions. Text in capitals is what you need to key.

When you get the prompt, change to the WINDOWS/SYSTEM32 directory:

CD C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

Rename the existing KRNL32.EXE file (if it exists)

REN KRNL32.EXE KRNL32.OLD

When the prompt re-appears, find the drive letter of your CDROM (containing the XP CD)

MAP

This command will list all available drives. Note the drive letter of the CDROM.

Next, we need to replace the KRNL386.EXE

EXPAND d:\i386\KRNL32.EX_

note that 'd' should be replaced with the actual drive letter for your cdrom.

Reboot and see if this helps.

Sponsored Links
aslong as he hasnt formatted to ntfs of course.

you dont need to reinstall, just replaced to lost/damaged file. As for not being able to over install? yes you can, although you may loose registry entries for apps you have installed.

re-install your software and this time try to partition your hardrive in two sections C:and D:if you get another virus it wont go to your D; drive.A good program to use to reinstall your operating sytem from D:to C: is NORTON GOST.take only 5min to reinstall everthing.Also put the latest firewall and antivirus program on your system.The internet is full of computer crashing viruses at the moment and they grow by the day,

ps,put your operating system on C: drive then copy everything to your D:drive,if it crashes again you simply boot up from a floppy made by the norton gost program,this will then allow you to copy everthing back from D: to C: in 5min. gost cost about $90 aussie

Hi aussie1 welcome to the forum,

if you want to change / ammend a post you can always press the
icon_edit.gif
button

it is not common to reply to a post that is over 2 months old (origonal post nearly 4 mths)

great computer advice

aussie1 said:
re-install your software and this time try to partition your hardrive in two sections C:and D:if you get another virus it wont go to your D; drive

What makes you think this. If that was true, we wouldn't need anti-virus apps at all!

Sponsored Links
Back