Big Problems With Gloss Work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am having a recurring problem with my gloss work. Some history:

Back bedroom. I was doing the gloss work over some existing (old) gloss that I had sanded and undercoated. As I was applying it, I noticed a dimple effect was appearing after just a couple of minutes. As I was nearing the end of the tin, and the brush had seen better days, I stopped and replaced both, and everything was fine.

I've just installed all new skirtings in my front room. I applied Ronseal Primer/Undercoat for Knotty Wood and then Homebase Just One Coat gloss. To begin with, everything was fine, but as I got further around the room, the dreaded dimples started to appear.

Dimples on window sill that was old gloss that I sanded/undercoated:

Any ideas as to what's going on??

Sponsored Links
Yep its because the undercoat isn't dry enough. Unfortunately with the new VOC compliant paints you need to allow longer between coats. Best thing to do would be to wet abrade, clean off the slurry and re gloss. Wouldn't have alot of confidence in a homebase one coat gloss either!

This can often occur if you have used polish or some other household cleaners on the previously painted surface. Even sanding doesn't get rid of all the residue from these products, so if this could be the case with yours, I would advise you to sand and clean the area with white spirit before applying any paint.
It doesn't explain it happening on the new skirting though, so could it be something you have used to clean or wash your brushes? Otherwise, I agree with the other guys about drying time.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all replies...

THe undercoat/primer was 48 hours old - surely this is long enough?

I cleaned the window sill with white spirit before applying the undercoat, and still had the problem with the gloss.... :confused: :confused: :confused:

Oh, and as far as cleaning brushes, I use white spirit followed by Fairy liquid to clean. In fact, I forgot, but I actually used a brand new brush on the window sill and the problem persisted.

I'm soooooooooo pi$$ed off with this. Spent ages putting in new skirtings and perfecting my scribe technique (!!), only for this to ruin my all my hard work. I could cry... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hmm, it's a bit puzzling then! :confused:

On the odd occasion it has happened to me, I have been able to get rid of it by going back and brushing over the area (without adding more paint) a few minutes after the spots appear. It takes a few goes but usually works, which makes me think that maybe the oils in the paint have seperated and just need re-combining.

Its a reaction to the paint your using I know this sounds stupid but I have done this...

CHECK THE GLOSS YOUR USING ISN'T WATER BASED!
As the white spirit WILL react with the paint.

what I would do is just sand back the wood with a fine grade the clean with white spirits then go over with kitchen roll to make sure its dry then paint away.

Hope this helps!

Gaz

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back