Gloss on gloss problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am preping my stairs for fresh water based gloss but it appears the last coat of gloss was put on over the previous coat without undercoat as it easily scrapes off. Is there anything available that can be applied to cure this without the need to remove it all?

I was intending to simply wet flat the current, filling any significant damage and undercoating (with water based UC) but I think that approach could be a waste of time!

Have a pic for ****s and giggles!

IMAG0507.jpg

Sponsored Links
There wouldn't have been a need to uc over the previous oiled coat. More likely it was painted over dirty greasy paint, or simply wasn't keyed prior to work.

The flakey stuff has to come off, so get the 80g (and a nice thin sharp bladed scraper) out and lose a day or two of your life. On the bright side, once prepared correctly you get a finish that well only ever need some gentle keying and cleaning pre painting in future years.

Sponsored Links
Well I rubbed it all down Saturday - thats a day of my life I will never get back!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back