bigger tank = more flow?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
quick question, does fitting a larger cold storage tank in the loft increase the flow i'd get out of my hot taps? im trying to think if the weight in the tank would help push the water down harder?

cheers

Sponsored Links
flow is directly proportion to pressure

bigger tank would increase capacity nothing else

boyles law

Sponsored Links
I agree simply fitting a bigger tank would not increase flow. Increasing the pipe size from the tank to the tap would or as said above adding height.

I agree simply fitting a bigger tank would not increase flow. Increasing the pipe size from the tank to the tap would or as said above adding height.

And the feed to the cylinder mehran :LOL: ;)

flow is directly proportion to pressure
In that case a taller cistern would increase the flow.

In fact, a taller cistern of the same capacity would increase the flow.

bigger tank would increase capacity nothing else
Unless it increased the water level.

boyles law
Boyle's Law has absolutely nothing to do with this topic. You should follow suit.

quick question, does fitting a larger cold storage tank in the loft increase the flow i'd get out of my hot taps? im trying to think if the weight in the tank would help push the water down harder?

cheers

If you have room, raise the tank in the loft on a stollage.

If the difference in height between the top of the water in the loft and the tap is say 2300mm and you raise the tank by 1000mm you will increase the pressure by 43%

(this opinion was expressed by an amateur not a professonal)

You're not far wrong, PDrawmer.

Conventionally, head is measured, and expressed, in metres from the base of the CSS, so that it represents the extreme minimum of head that might occur. The head resulting from any water above that level counters the restriction manifested in bends, elbows, valves and couplings, and might be a bonus.

This makes your suggestion more impressive, because raising the base by 1m, when the head is 2m (for a 300mm water depth), would add 50% pressure. In practise it isn't an exact science, and the true increase would be somewhere in the 40-50% range.

However, most lofts won't permit a 1m rise in CSS, unless you get a shallower one. Maybe this OP is lucky.

ok thanks for that, i do plan to install the tank as high as possible in the loft, i think i will be able to raise it about 700mm higher than the ceiling joist. Im going to install a power shower, but obviously would like as much flow as possible through my other taps.

thanks

We've got a power shower. Works fine for us.

But when No1 son and his girl friend came to stay, I got a complaint.

"Why did the shower just stop?"
Turns out that if you have a long shower, you can exhaust the cold tank pretty quickly.

Can't work out why me on my own takes a lot less time than the two of them together in the shower.....

Anyway, just make sure that the tank in the loft is big enough if you shower with a friend (to save water you understand). :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back