Bird Cherry Tree for use in Lathe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just cut down a small Bird Cherry tree, (about 8" diameter), and have a reasonably straight section of trunk about 6' long. Before I cut it into manageable sections I need to know if it is a decent wood for turning in a lathe.
I know I will have to leave it to season and dry out but if you can't turn it then I will simply dispose of it.
If it can be turned what is the best way to dry it out at home? I don't have a kiln or anything just a couple of sheds which stay reasonably dry. How many years would I need to leave it for?

Strange questions, I know, but any information would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
Cherry is a lovely wood for turning, its deep reddy brown.
Regarding seasoning, cut the log into lengths and allow it to dry out very slowly, put the individual pieces on a shelf and forget about it.....at this diameter it could be prone to shake but its definitely worth a try.
John :)

Was going to say fruit wood is an excellent candidate for turning, but unfortunately I couldn't offer advice on the level of seasoning.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.
John, this is a bird cherry so it's much lighter than a 'normal' cherry tree but it could always be colourised with stains/varnishes etc.
Lostinthelight, that looks a very interesting article so I have bookmarked it and will read at leisure tomorrow.
Eddie, thanks for your comment and honesty, LOL

Once again, thank you gentlemen for your replies.

Thanks for that Conny - I've only turned the 'original' timber and some pear....can't even say I've heard of the bird cherry so I'll look it up.
John :)

Dragging this back to the top because I want to know if anyone can clarify it is a Bird Cherry tree that I cut down.
I've stripped the bark off a couple of sections so the photo's show the bark and the sapwood(?).
It's very wet even though it has been under cover since cutting it down so I don't think there is much chance of machining it at the moment.
Can anyone agree/disagree what it is please?
P1030239.JPG
P1030240.JPG
P1030241.JPG
P1030242.JPG

Ignore above. Just found bark pictures and leaf pictures to confirm it is a Wild Cherry tree, sometimes known as a bird cherry because the fruits are inedible to humans.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back