biscuit jointers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I used one today for the first time. it was a cheap one ( £30 from Aldi') it seemed ok to me , but I know nothing about these things.
Does anyone know whats good, whats bad,what to look for and what to avoid in the world of biscuit jointers.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
work from the same "face " edge for both pieces

they can be connected thin edge to thin edge or corner joints ot even face to face

stop the grooves short of where the end or ends will be if you using a continuous groove or plunging single buiscut slots

make shure you hold the fence tight to the work

make shure you use the right size buiscuit for the slot

Depends how much you are going to use it, an cheapy like you have used will be OK for occasional DIY, Mid range like say the Freud if you are a keen home woodworker or if you use it for work then something decent like the Lamello C3 is what I have but at ten times the price of the Aldi one.

Jason

Thanks guys. the truth is, I probably couldn't justify spending £30 on one. but if I could find more uses for it, other than assisting with kitchen worktops, I would get one.
Jasonb you own a top end of the market jointer, is it an invaluable piece of your kit? or could you live without it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't be without it, probably get through several thousand biscuits a year so it pays for itself.

If you have a router you could always get on of the biscuit cutters for that, not a s quick but may get you out of trouble. Don't use it like this otherwise you will he in trouble :eek:

BTW I don't use biscuits for laminate worktops, if one is cupped its easier to "adjust" if there is nothing to stop it moving when you hit it with a big hammer and block of wood.

Jason

i get through several thousand chocolate digestives a year! :LOL:

I agree with jason, quality costs. The Lamello is an excellent machine, but I "get by" with a Mafell LNF19 (now replaced by the LNF20) which is almost as well built as the Lamello (but at about £200 discounted). I, too, get through a lot of biscuits, but unless you are making a lot of furniture carcasses a trade rated jointer is a bit of a luxury.

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back