Bitumen Help (Plumber messed interior walls up) Seal over this to stop the smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys having a wet room done, battened walls and aquaboarding etc... wetroom is downstairs other side of the wall is external, plumber used bitumen flash primer (white spirit based) on the walls before applying the battens to ensure that damp doesnt penetrate the batten on the interior. Sadly, after he applied this Bitumen on the internal walls brick work we are now left with very very very bad strong smell of chemical bitumen around my home. I am not happy. I managed to enclose the smell in the wetroom buy putting up a zip dust plastic door and sealing of with tape. Vinegar, baking soda, charcoal, all helped but the smell returns.

Also used some DPM membrane sheet to cover the walls which helped in reducing the smell but once you take these off the smell is horrendous.

The plumber has not come back, it seems that this smell can be enclosed. But my question is what can i enclose it wit, I know eventually i will batten, aqauboard, tank and tile my wet room and seal off to a finish, and eventually that will stop any smell coming out, but that does not sit well with me and id rather work at trying to cut of this bitumen from releasing odours before i continue with the wetroom. I cannot remove it, its really painted well one coat so not thick.

What can i use to paint/brush on top? can i SBR bond primer it ? but thats rubber, will that smell too? or is there any kind of liquid based sealer which can be applied on this product, to seal of the walls and stop this horrible smell.

Please if anyone could help me.

This is what he used and this is my room :
EVERBUILD Bitumen & Flashing Primer 5L

INGREDIENTS : BITUMEN (WHEN IN SOLVENT SOLUTION) 50-70% EINECS: 265-196-4 CAS: 64742-93-4 [Xn] R40; [-] R10 • WHITE SPIRITS, NAPTHA (PETROLEUM) 30-50% CAS: 64742-82-1 [-] R10; [N] R51/53; [Xn] R65; [-] R66; [-] R67

O2JQr6O.png

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
MissBuilding1975, good evening.

Is there now or will there be an extractor fan system installed??

Can I suggest that the extractor system is "Pressed into use NOW?"

Wire it to or switch it on to run all day, off at night to allow you to sleep, that may assist in removing the volatile smell??

Ken.

@KenGMac
MissBuilding1975, good evening.

Is there now or will there be an extractor fan system installed??

Can I suggest that the extractor system is "Pressed into use NOW?"

Wire it to or switch it on to run all day, off at night to allow you to sleep, that may assist in removing the volatile smell??

Ken.

Many thanks Ken for your response, No there no extractor installed, There will be, however not one as of yet. It really is volatile, my home literally smells like tar ! That what that stuff is from what i have read. Cannot believe it. For now i have sealed the entrance to the wetroom with plastic zip dust door, and opened the window in there. This stops the smell entering the rest of the home, however, once i open the zip, the smells works its way into the home. Its terrible stuff.

Before doing this, yesterday i actually opened all my doors and windows for 1 hour till the home was cold which removed the odor, however, once i closed up, the next day i.e. this morning, the smell returned. chemical rubbish. It seems that we can try to contain it but i don't know what to use.

Ventilate as much as possible right away, the fumes are not good for you at all. Sealing the room was a good start.

Please contact everbuild and seek advice, they should be able help suggest a way to remove it or provide additional safety advice for the product.

Sponsored Links
Ventilate as much as possible right away, the fumes are not good for you at all. Sealing the room was a good start.

Please contact everbuild and seek advice, they should be able help suggest a way to remove it or provide additional safety advice for the product.

@Swwils Thanks for the advice, I continue to do this, I will contact them tomorrow first thing, I came across some advice just now, someone suggest possibly using a vapour barrier and place that on top? your thoughts? @KenGMac @Swwils

The solvent that has to come off needs to go somewhere, ventilate well and heat the wall with a portable radiator in the room to get the evaporation over and done with. Dont use a naked flame to heat, the vapours are flammable.

Stating the bleeding obvious perhaps, but does that window open?

The solvent that has to come off needs to go somewhere, ventilate well and heat the wall with a portable radiator in the room to get the evaporation over and done with. Dont use a naked flame to heat, the vapours are flammable.

Thanks @Mike13 I will take that on board, similarly i did do that, first i sealed off the room and put a portable heater in. Though as as that stopped and i opened the plastic sheeting that sealed the room the smell returned. Clearly this smell can be contained so i was think possibly using a vapour barrier directly on the wall. In the following order : vapour barrier the wall and go extra with DPM membrane sheet, followed by wood stud battening after that insert rigid foam boards, go over that with another vapour barrier, followed by aqau boarding the walls. Tanking the room and finish with tiling etc

Your thoughts on this please?

Thank you so much.

The "White Spirit/Naptha" is Natural Gasoline, so mostly liquid at room temperature, it does take a long time to force out. Once you have the vapour barriers in place the only way for the fumes to go are through the masonry behind the coating, that will take a long time. Also the fumes will try and diffuse into the glue that holds the vapour barrier tape in place, so that will likely peel off after a few months, but unseen. A multiple layer barrier will help, but heating just that room up to 25+ degrees for as long as you can bear the cost and disruption will help drive out the solvents. That will make it much easier to deal with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back