Bizarre light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hope you can help me out. I'm trying to change a light fitting. Looking at other ceiling roses in my flat, it appears that I'm on a junction box set up, but coming from this particular point, I have the following:

2 switched live wires (one is red, the other confusingly just black)
1 neutral
1 earth

I'm guessing that the 2 switched lives both need to go into the live section of the new light fitting? But I only have two points to attach live wires and one already contains the live wire from the ceiling rose to the bulb.

This is the only light fitting with these two lives - all the others in the flat have 1 live into the live port, 1 neutral into the neutral, nothing in the loop and earth obviously into earth.

I can't find any instructions anywhere that deal with this - can you help?

Sponsored Links
I don't know where they were positioned in the old fitting because a friend who " knows how to do this" took the old one down for me before giving up in disgust!!

I've tried it in this form: black neutral to neutral, red to loop, black live to live, which doesn't work. With the blacks switched, it stays on all the time, very dim.

something is not right you seem to be a red missing, get a multi meter and find out what does what.

you wouldn't put a nail in with an orange would you?

Sponsored Links
What makes you think the black is a switched live?

Why can't you have one live, 2 neutrals & a cpc?

Hi,

Sorry about the delay - been busy buying table lamps :(

The reason why I think there are two live wires is because I tested them with a current detecting screwdriver. Both have current coming through them and the one true neutral doesn't. I guessed the black live was switched live because surely to have two lives you'd also have two neutrals - but I only have one red live and neutral and this random black live.

Aarrggh! Any views?

diyscaresme said:
... a current detecting screwdriver. ...

Any views?

Yes, bin the screwdriver and invest £8 in a multimeter.

diyscaresme said:
Hi,

Sorry about the delay - been busy buying table lamps :(

The reason why I think there are two live wires is because I tested them with a current detecting screwdriver. Both have current coming through them and the one true neutral doesn't. I guessed the black live was switched live because surely to have two lives you'd also have two neutrals - but I only have one red live and neutral and this random black live.

Aarrggh! Any views?

Neutral feedback.

The two blacks, connect them together. they are both neutrals. One of them appears to be a live but it isn't.

Single red on its own is the live.

Then pop down to your local police station and put your neon screwdriver in their amnesty bin

neonamnesty.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back