Black 22mm plastic pipe - insert required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm fitting a new kitchen. The current incoming cold water feed is in the 'wrong' place as it will come up through the floor of the sink unit and will mean cutting a hole / slot. It's preferable for all the pipe work to be at the rear with just the stop tap handle poking through the rear panel.

So, I intend to fit a 90 deg elbow to the incoming 22mm plastic pipe to route the feed behind the unit. My query is this, do I need a metal pipe support for the plastic pipe? My only experience of plastic pipe is using Marley Equator and for that you use a little metal insert in the end of the pipe to stop a copper compression fitting from crushing the pipe. This black plastic pipe must be approx 30 years old and I'm not sure if an Equator insert would fit inside it.

Grateful for any advice.

Sponsored Links
It is far better to have access to the whole tap so it can be changed if needs be, also the main bonding conductor (10mm earth cable which goes back to the consumer unit) which MUST be connected within 600mm of the consumers side of that tap and before any tee's in the pipework HAS to be visible and accessablt for inspection and testing purposes.

It is far better to have access to the whole tap so it can be changed if needs be, also the main bonding conductor (10mm earth cable which goes back to the consumer unit) which MUST be connected within 600mm of the consumers side of that tap and before any tee's in the pipework HAS to be visible and accessablt for inspection and testing purposes.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The units I'm installing are 'Monza' from Homebase. They have a flimsy hardboard rear panel. Going to replace the one in the sink unit with a piece of mdf and make it removable for access to plumbing.

I didn't think I needed an earth bond (to extraneous conductive parts) because the incoming water pipe is plastic.

Do you think a Marley Equator 90 deg elbow would fit securely onto that black pipe?

Sponsored Links
I don't think that is 22mm plastic.

I am pretty sure it's black alkethene and will almost certianly be imperial.

You need to cut a small peice and take it to pipecenter. They have the universal fittings for it (philmac) but each pipe needs a different sized insert......usually 5/8ths for '15mm' etc so take the peice along and get the connectors and correct inserts

I don't think that is 22mm plastic.

I am pretty sure it's black alkethene and will almost certianly be imperial.

You need to cut a small peice and take it to pipecenter. They have the universal fittings for it (philmac) but each pipe needs a different sized insert......usually 5/8ths for '15mm' etc so take the peice along and get the connectors and correct inserts

Hi,

You may be correct. But the compression fitting on there at the moment is 22mm. That's what led me to think it was 22mm pipe. Having said that there is a bit of a gap around the fitting but maybe that's because its been put on at an angle.

Nearest Pipe center is in Liverpool which is a bit of a trip.

It will be 1/2" alkathene.

There are two types, Clas "C" and class"D". Blue marking on pipe is "C".
Green markings class "D".
OD is the same, internall bore differs.

Everyone i have seen has just had a bit of 15mm copper used as an insert and 22mm compression fitting . Non had leaked

Hi Grunt, Im only a DIYer but I had to repair some half inch alkathene recently and was pointed (on this forum) to use a Philmac fitting.

Admittedly I was joining onto mdpe but they do fittings to connect to copper as well. Also you dont require an insert for the alkathene part - I checked with Philmac.

You may have a 22mm fitting attached to the black alkathene, but it may be attached by using a non-standard olive.

It is possible to buy 3/4" olives designed to fit into 22mm fittings. 3/4" olives are about 1mm smaller bore than 22mm olives.

Hi,

Finally got around to doing this job...

I got the external diameter of the pipe and went to Drain Center where I got an adaptor that they said would convert the imperial pipe to metric. It's a fitting made by Plasson, similar to the Philmac fitting recommended by ajg68. Unfortunately, neither of the barbed spiggots they gave me would have fitted inside the black pipe, one too small, one too large.

Anyway, upon stripping the fittings off the pipe it was apparent that a piece of 15mm had been used as a pipe support, as suggested by namsag.

I tried a 22mm olive on the pipe but it was a very loose fit so I went to my local plumbers merchants and they gave me one of the special olives as mentioned by TicklyT. Almost perfect fit.

Anyway, jobs done now and I haven't flooded the kitchen thus far. Thanks for all your help.

That pipe looks like "polyorc" to me which normally uses solvent weld fittings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back