Black "asbestos" floor and new tiles on top of it.

Aze

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to everyone,

I am looking to put new tiles in my kitchen.

There are currently floor like this (picture from google)
Black-Asbestos-Floor-Tile-Removal.jpg

Please tell me,
-whether I can leave those tiles as is and stick normal ceramic tiles on top of it,
-do I have to remove those black things before?
-which PVA/Bond thing I got to use first before I stick tiles?
-not sure if I can mention but I saw in one of the most popular online shops bags of adhesive for tiles 25kg for like £7 is that about right?

Sponsored Links
You need to remove the tiles. They'll probably pop up fairly easily if you put a paint scraper under the edge and wiggle.

You then need to remove the asphalt underneath. Easiest way is to tickle it off with a scutch chisel on a SDS drill. The condition of the underlying floor will probably then be such that you'll need a layer of self-levelling screed over it.

Then tile adhesive.

damn thats a lot... I thought that it would be easier. Are those black tiles dangerous ? or remove my self with a mask and damp them before?

I might just go for water proof kind of floor panels? are there any ?

edit.

Yeah when u put wall paper scrapper they just come off. I have not removed them in my living and I just put underlay+panels on top and its fine but wont be with tiles, right?

Not if they are coming off that easily. They may well contain asbestos, but lifting them with a scraper isn't going to be an issue.
There are laminates out there suitable for kitchens, some even look like tiles

Sponsored Links
Please tell me,
-whether I can leave those tiles as is and stick normal ceramic tiles on top of it,
-do I have to remove those black things before?
-which PVA/Bond thing I got to use first before I stick tiles?
-not sure if I can mention but I saw in one of the most popular online shops bags of adhesive for tiles 25kg for like £7 is that about right?

1. Sorry, I haven't the foggiest but if it's asbestos, get a professional.
2. See point 1
3. PVA isn't suitable for tiling. Use acrylic primer or SBR. Personally I use BAL Prime APD for my bits n pieces.
4. When you say tile shop.... depends on the brand. Some "brands" like Unibond are terrible but will be around that price. I would much rather spend £40 on a reputable brand such as BAL, Tilemaster etc. Mapei lies somewhere inbetween for me. If it's Mapei for £7 then you might of stumbled across one of the pallet deals that Tile Giant do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back