Black high gloss worktops ?

Company has said they would replace the tops but I would still have to remove and pay someone to reinstall.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't swallow it just like that.

They have a duty to supply goods as ordered, you do not have a duty to inspect them before fitting ( although it is obviously sensible and this weakens your position a little ) and so I would argue ( as a negotiating position) that they should put me in the position I would have been in if they had supplied goods correctly.

Anyway now fault is notified ( do you have their response in writing ? If not write to them confirming what was said and agreed ) you have a bit of time and could consult Trading Standards or maybe a legal helpline which is often included on house-insurance policies.

when they were fitted, they got dusty, perhaps.

how do we know the marks weren't caused when they were rubbed clean after fitting?

anyway, black gloss is only suitable for a showroom, not for a kitchen that anyone actually used

Aye any honest supplier would not sell them.
And any tradesman with half a brain would avoid fitting them?????........

Company has said they would replace the tops but I would still have to remove and pay someone to reinstall.
FFS if they fitted them and they've admitted that there is a fault then removal and replacement are their problem, surely? Sounds like they are trying to dodge the bullet.

anyway, black gloss is only suitable for a showroom, not for a kitchen that anyone actually used
Oh I do so agree, John. I replace worktops from time to time and I always dread doing high gloss ones, especially the cheaper ones. Seemingly all you have to do to mark them is to look at them..... well, no, actually, but they aren't practical as they mark far too easily and for the fitter they are often a boomerang product. I've had enough problems with them that I now take photographs at the end of the installation and get the customer to sign a form stating that the installation is to the required standard. If you are selling a house and want to jazz up a kitchen, then by all means go high gloss - just don't use it until you move! Otherwise avoid like the plague.

Sponsored Links
If as the above two posters say, it is inevitable that the work-tops will be marked as soon as you start using them - which i wasn't aware of - then it really wouldn't seem worth the bother of replacing them.

Either leave them as they are and save yourself the disruption or negotiate a cash-settlement with the supplier and look at it as a discount.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back