Black holes..

S

Sombrero

Quite often talking to my kids, they'll ask "will the Sun become a black hole?" and i say no, our Sun is not big enough, you need a star a thousand times bigger than ours to make a black hole.

So the more matter makes a more powerful black hole.

Which got me thinking... if at the Big Bang, all the matter in the universe was at a point the size of a pinhead .... wouldn't the gravity be so MASSIVE to prevent even the Big Bang happening?

Sponsored Links
There wasn't any matter at that point, only energy, ergo there was no gravity.

There wasn't any matter at that point, only energy, ergo there was no gravity.

Wow !! really? ok... !! wind firmly taken out of sails... !!!

Is that the accepted view?

And how did energy 'become' matter?

Sponsored Links
He's right though, according to the theory.

Energy and matter are interchangeable.

and is there an Earthly "energy -> matter" experiment to show us how that would work??

#gettingoutofmydepth!

Hmmmm , if there was only "Energy" and no gravity,,, What held this energy together? Why didn't it just drift away and dissipate ?
(I'm not a scientist, and I don't believe Joe is either )
;) ;)

E=MC2 means energy is equivalent to mass times the speed of light squared. Or mass is equivalent to energy divided by the speed of light squared.
So you need an awful lot of energy to get a tiny bit of mass. I believe they've created particles at CERN.

so i thought there was an INCREDIBLE amount of matter at the big bang, but i've just learned there was C^2 (the speed of light squared) times the amount of matter in energy there instead !!!

how do we know this when we can't be sure what the weather will be like tomorrow !!

And how does energy 'become' matter?

Hmmmm , if there was only "Energy" and no gravity,,, What held this energy together? Why didn't it just drift away and dissipate ?
(I'm not a scientist, and I don't believe Joe is either )
;) ;)
The current theory only goes back to something like a zillion zillionth of a second after the big bang, but at that time the universe was infinitely hot and dense, from that point it expanded and cooled very rapidly. It was only when it cooled to a certain point that quarks began to form.
The interesting thing is that they say that matter and anti matter were both created, which then annihilated with each other, but because there was a slight difference in numbers 1 in 30,000,000 more matter than anti matter, all the matter that we see now is the remaining 1 in 30,000,000 that was left after the annihilation.

What held this energy together? Why didn't it just drift away and dissipate ?

It couldn't drift away and dissipate because there was nowhere for it to go.
Space was created in the big bang so it was filling the available space, it still does, only now it's cooled right down to microwave frequency. It's called the cosmic microwave background radiation and it comes from all directions all over space. You can see it if you turn a telly on and detune it, some of that static on the screen is from the CMB. It's a remnant of the big bang.

What held this energy together? Why didn't it just drift away and dissipate ?

It couldn't drift away and dissipate because there was nowhere for it to go.
Space was created in the big bang so it was filling the available space, it still does, only now it's cooled right down to microwave frequency. It's called the cosmic microwave background radiation and it comes from all directions all over space. You can see it if you turn a telly on and detune it, some of that static on the screen is from the CMB. It's a remnant of the big bang.

Fookin hell you're clever!!!!

so if we can get to a billionth of a second after the big bang.... what's stopping us going a tenth of a second earlier?

Sponsored Links
Back