THIS IS HOW THE BIG BANG WAS CREATED

But if it started again how long would it have stopped for?

Sponsored Links
But if it started again how long would it have stopped for?

As no one could have measured it, then to all intents, it never stopped.

Remember the episode of Red Dwarf, where Dave was frozen for 3,000,000 years....They're all dead Dave...... :LOL:

Try to picture the birth of the universe according to the Big Bang theory, namely a colossal explosion out of a single point of infinite density. Where are you watching from? From a safe distance of course- but what kind of space are you in? Is there any space at all from which the event could be observed?
If there was a point of infinite density, wouldn't it have had infinite gravity? So how could anything explode out of it?

sooey said:
If there was a point of infinite density, wouldn't it have had infinite gravity? So how could anything explode out of it?

If you can answer that one your Nobel prize will be in the post - with a first class stamp! :D :D :D

And if you can explain how it got there at all I'll send you a bonus biscuit too. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
To my simple mind it wasn't infinitely dense, so the outward force must have been a bit bigger than the gravitational force.

Next :cool:

Maybe there is no such thing as infinite.

Can I have chocolate on me biscuit?

sooey said:
To my simple mind it wasn't infinitely dense

Many physicists would agree with you there. :) :) :)

On the one hand, general relativity, which works so well over large distances, predicts that a sufficiently large mass must collapse to a single point of infinite density. :cool: :cool: :cool:

On the other hand, when you get down to very small sizes, quantum effects become important. In very simple terms, when something is very small you can't be 100% sure where it is. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Now for the really awkward bit. It is well known that the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics are inconsistent with each other. That is to say that they can't both be right at the same time. :eek: :eek: :eek: As always, our theories are only a best guess at the truth. We formulate a theory then do experiments which try to disprove it. Every time we fail to disprove it the theory stands but it can never be proved. :( :( :(

No point mass of infinite density has ever been observed. Not so long ago, it was generally accepted that atoms were indivisible, the smallest particles of matter. We now know that atoms are mostly empty and, given enough gravity, they can be crushed down to a ball of neutrons. Moreover, astronomers believe that they have found objects denser than a neutron star, ie black holes. It follows from this that neutrons can also be crushed but how small exactly? We can't see inside a black hole to find out! :( :( :(

What's needed here is a new theory which works for very large masses squeezed into very small spaces, ie a quantum theory of gravity. Quantum physicists like to explain everything in terms of particles and so they have postulated the existence of the graviton, a particle that carries the force of gravity from one mass to another. :idea: :idea: :idea: But here's a puzzle. We are told that a black hole curves space to such an extent that even light can't escape. We are also told that if light can't get out, nothing else can either - and yet the hypothetical graviton does so with impunity. :D :D :D And so we have a particle that can travel in a straight line through curved space! :confused: :confused: :confused:

Maybe there is no such thing as infinite.

Maybe you're right. Infinity is a concept dreamt up by mathematicians and philosophers but, by its very nature, it can never be observed, still less measured. :( :( :( If our universe is finite, and if three dimensional space does not exist beyond its boundary, then 'infinity' has no physical existence. :) :) :)

PS: You can certainly have chocolate on your biscuit. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Professor Heisenberg was driving in his car one day when he was stopped by a Traffic Cop

"Do you know how fast you were going?" demanded the policeman

"No," replied the professor "But I know where I am"

Professor Heisenberg was driving in his car one day when he was stopped by a Traffic Cop

"Do you know how fast you were going?" demanded the policeman

"No," replied the professor "But I know where I am"

Was he certain of that...?

However, when Professor Schrodinger was stopped, with his estranged wife in the boot of the car, things were even more confusing.

I think therefore I am ...

or, in Joe's case ... I'm pink therefore I'm spam! :LOL:

However, when Professor Schrodinger was stopped, with his estranged wife in the boot of the car, things were even more confusing.

When asked why he'd done it he replied, she was too catty.

He was stopped for speeding and the dialogue went as follows ...

Officer: Do you realise that you were doing 70mph in a 30mph zone?
Prof: That's because I've just committed a bank robbery.
Officer: You've ... Wwwwhat?
Prof: I've just committed a bank robbery and I have a gun in the glove compartment.
Officer: You've just committed a bank robbery and have a GUN in the glove compartment!!!!
Prof: I've just committed a bank robbery, have a gun in the glove compartment and the bank managers dead body in the boot.
Officer: A ddddead bbbody in the bboot?
Prof: That's right, a dead body in the boot ... Now be a good little constable and get your inspector down here.
Officer on the radio: Really Sir ... We stopped him for doing 70mph in a 30mph zone and he admitted that he's just committed a bank robbery, has a gun in the glove compartment and the bank manager's dead body in the boot.
Inspector: I'll be right there!

Inspector: Okay Sir, step OUT of the car!

Prof gets out, is manhandled to the floor and cuffed.

The glove compartment is opened ... No gun.

The boot is opened ... No dead body.

Inspector: Okay Sir ... This officer told me that you stated that you had just committed a bank robbery, had a gun in the glove compartment and the bank manager's dead body in the boot of your car?

Prof: REALLY? ... I bet he told you I'd been speeding as well :rolleyes:

MW

It could if the explosive force was of infinite power. :D

Sponsored Links
Back