CERN and the LHC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So today has gone ok apparently. But all this talk of Black Holes and the Earth being sucked in and everything as we know it ending has got me thinking...

Some scientists have said there is a 'possiblity' of creating Mini Black Holes (possibly one every second), but they have also said that these mini black holes would disappear within a second or so (if Stephen Hawkings theories are correct). But they don't REALLY know. They aren't even sure what new Atoms they will/might create. If they create a 'Strange Atom' or 'Strangelet' then that Atom would essentially attach itself to every other atom on the planet.. still end of world etc etc.

Now there are arguments on both sides of this debate. But what I thought today was... suppose this all happened once before. Suppose a bunch of 'clever' Scientists previously created a similar machine. What if, they did that and the result was that their world disappeared into the Black Hole that they created. We wouldn't know would we? Its not like there would be bits of computer etc flying around space because it would all be consumed by a Black Hole. Perhaps our very existence is due to a previous experiment of this kind a few billion years ago!

Hey, I don't know but then the science isn't exactly... well... exact! :confused: Its just a thought. :confused:

Sponsored Links
How do you know it hasnt already happened today and you are now living in a parallel universe? ;)

Sponsored Links
So today has gone ok apparently. But all this talk of Black Holes and the Earth being sucked in and everything as we know it ending has got me thinking...

Some scientists have said there is a 'possiblity' of creating Mini Black Holes (possibly one every second), but they have also said that these mini black holes would disappear within a second or so (if Stephen Hawkings theories are correct). But they don't REALLY know. They aren't even sure what new Atoms they will/might create. If they create a 'Strange Atom' or 'Strangelet' then that Atom would essentially attach itself to every other atom on the planet.. still end of world etc etc.

Now there are arguments on both sides of this debate. But what I thought today was... suppose this all happened once before. Suppose a bunch of 'clever' Scientists previously created a similar machine. What if, they did that and the result was that their world disappeared into the Black Hole that they created. We wouldn't know would we? Its not like there would be bits of computer etc flying around space because it would all be consumed by a Black Hole. Perhaps our very existence is due to a previous experiment of this kind a few billion years ago!

Hey, I don't know but then the science isn't exactly... well... exact! :confused: Its just a thought. :confused:

On similar lines to what I thought earlier this week.
We all know black holes exist, its a scientific fact, without starting another debate, lets say life does exist out in the universe, I thought, what if, when other civilisations, have reached the same point in their scientific evolution, have done the same experiment, and this is what has caused all the other black holes? Scientists say their caused by collapsing stars, but, its a theory, the same as mine

I hope it was wired to BS7671 & was on an RCD :D

I was watching a programme some time back where the reknowned scientists on the subject of black holes were saying that as one gets closer to the event horizon of a black hole that time itself slows down to a crawl and becomes infitessimally slow, if so how do you measure the hole sucking all into it including light as it in theory should still be travelling towards but not into the very first black hole ever created, and using that thought how do we not know that the black holes created today aren't already pulling us into them just very veeeeery sloooooowly?

I'll tell you what's more mysterious that a black hole:- it's the belief by so many people that there's only one size and one density of a black hole.

Do the same people believe that there's only one size of bomb? Or explosive power of bullet? Or length of knife blade? Do you believe that everything that's potentially hazardous becomes infinitely, devastatingly and unstoppably dangerous at the instant of its creation?

The fact is that we live in a world surrounded by small black holes of whose existence we're blissfully unaware. But as soon as a "news" article "reports" the scientific creation of Armageddon in a bottle, mass hysteria breaks out.

FFS. :rolleyes:

I'll tell you what's more mysterious that a black hole:- it's the belief by so many people that there's only one size and one density of a black hole.

Do the same people believe that there's only one size of bomb? Or explosive power of bullet? Or length of knife blade? Do you believe that everything that's potentially hazardous becomes infinitely, devastatingly and unstoppably dangerous at the instant of its creation?

The fact is that we live in a world surrounded by small black holes of whose existence we're blissfully unaware. But as soon as a "news" article "reports" the scientific creation of Armageddon in a bottle, mass hysteria breaks out.

FFS. :rolleyes:
I hardly think a light hearted and somewhat tongue in cheek discussion of a recent event is 'mass hysteria' Softus. Chill man. You're becoming hysterical! :D

It's an amusing thought. Civilisations are doomed to disappear without trace when they attain the techology to unwittingly create a sustainable black hole. :p

Where all doomed but i can save yea all i need is a bit of funding to create my black hole sucksion pod all donations will be appreciated it will take me weeks to repair my old one but is most expensive but you cant put a price on the world so dig deep boys and girls and give to this needy collection,

P.S i have also been working on a ozone hole repairer and could do with a bit of donation support so get the piggy banks broken.

I hardly think a light hearted and somewhat tongue in cheek discussion of a recent event is 'mass hysteria' Softus.
Really? At least two topics on the matter (geddit?) in the last week, all stuffed full of fear about a ridiculously improbable event?

Did you not read this one?

And this one?

And this one?

And this one?

And this one?

Calm down dear its just a discussion. :)

30803_2.jpg

At least two topics on the matter (geddit?)
Yes very good :) Although if I wanted to be pedantic I think it should be... get it? :D

a ridiculously improbable event?

Now you've done it............ :eek:
If you had used the word impossible, not improbable, people would have been reassured.
Improbable gives credence to it being possible, a freudian slip maybe.... :LOL:

So what odds do you give it Softus, reassure us even further......... ;)

If you had used the word impossible, not improbable, people would have been reassured.
Improbable gives credence to it being possible, a freudian slip maybe.... :LOL:
Never say never.

So what odds do you give it
That's easy - the odds are ridiculously against the LHC creating a black hole that will swallow the entire

Sponsored Links
Back