Black holes..

If quantum theory is proven wrong - the universe won't cease to exist. Why do you think it will? :confused:

Putting words in my mouth again joe??
Electronic devices wouldn't have been invented if quantum theory hadn't been formulated. That was the point. :rolleyes:

The basic theory originates in physical experiments into the FET. Bardeen may have used clever maths to perfect it - but it wasn't designed using maths.

I think Bardeen used quantum theory to understand why it didn't work and to make it so that it would.

Sponsored Links
Yes that's as I understand it. I got the impression that you thought Shockley sat with his pad and pencil doing maths and suddenly shouted "Fookin Ada - I've just invented the transistor'.

The reason it wouldn't work is that it was a bipolar transistor and it was just too darned depressed to. :mrgreen:

So, like I said, if it wasn't for quantum theory you could forget your iphones and computers, and all the other things that make the modern world go round. :cool:

No, they would have still been invented, but just wouldn't work. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Don't know about any of that but I do know of a super massive cash black hole that lives near me :LOL:

What seems to have ben overlooked by all you would be Mathematical Physicists is the the whole thing is a Mathematical Model which attempts to explain and predict the actions of the Universe. The model is continuously tweaked to account for unforeseen observations. Then the smart arses set about proving the existence of the new particle that has been postulated so as to account for the new observation. The Higgs particle being a prime example. After 40 years, they think they have found it - but have they?
It seems to be an extremely accurate Mathematical Model - but still a MODEL and not a 'picture' of reality, just a model of It.

I read last week in a Science Journal that maybe there needs to be a complete rethink of the Model as there seems to be nowhere else to go with the present one where Multiverses are thrown up by the Mathematics. We will never see the other infinite number of Multiverses but that is what the Mathematics comes up with. The Model is a manifestation of the human mind to try and put something familiar in place so that we can understand the mathematics. Or at least some smart arse can understand the mathematics, I certainly can't.

It is all a very complex Mathematical Model NOT Reality, just a Model of it..

I think the limitations of the experiments we can carry out were acknowleged a few pages back. What you describe shows just how well the Scientific Method works.

It won't be long before we start plugging computers directly into our brains which will make it a lot easier for us to understand these things.

What seems to have ben overlooked by all you would be Mathematical Physicists is the the whole thing is a Mathematical Model which attempts to explain and predict the actions of the Universe. The model is continuously tweaked to account for unforeseen observations. Then the smart a**es set about proving the existence of the new particle that has been postulated so as to account for the new observation. The Higgs particle being a prime example. After 40 years, they think they have found it - but have they?
It seems to be an extremely accurate Mathematical Model - but still a MODEL and not a 'picture' of reality, just a model of It.

I read last week in a Science Journal that maybe there needs to be a complete rethink of the Model as there seems to be nowhere else to go with the present one where Multiverses are thrown up by the Mathematics. We will never see the other infinite number of Multiverses but that is what the Mathematics comes up with. The Model is a manifestation of the human mind to try and put something familiar in place so that we can understand the mathematics. Or at least some smart a**e can understand the mathematics, I certainly can't.

It is all a very complex Mathematical Model NOT Reality, just a Model of it..

Have you got a degree in stating the bleedin obvious? :rolleyes:

You lot should stop wasting your time.. this thread was extremely informative 4 pages in... then egos took over... in fact the ego is probably stronger than gravity (both weak forces btw!)

overall, thanks ! But a great thread,

Sponsored Links
Back