Black plastic Cold Water feed - solvent weld? Help!

Not sure if you are being serious here or taking the pizz :LOL:

aaaaaanyway, the OP is describing the old solvent weld only plastic water pipe, you try to fit an insert in it and firstly it wont fit, secondly, a compression fitting will shatter the pipe.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
First you need to identify the pipe, it will be marked down the side.
BSS sell GF pipe and fittings in metric and imperial.

Polyorc?
The council used loads of the stuff round here in the 70's. Supposed to leave it 24hrs to set after glueing. We didn't have time (during maintenance calls) and the tenants wouldn't have been too happy either with no water. 3hrs, job done. Never had any leaks ;)

Crap stuff though, rip it out.

Considering I was born in the 70's I have only ever been near it during refurbs.

All I will suggest to the OP is that he should be very careful about going near it with any kind of compression fitting. i suggest using the proper glued fittings

we have, or at least had, some of the compression type and it's cr4p, went to change a cylinder and the broke off at floor level, leaving a quote for a repipe was the only solution.
GET RID ASAP

Done a search on here and came up with nothing...

My father is doing up a run down property. Under the floor he has found a CW Supply pipe to kitchen etc,
so it`s the incoming cold main...rip it out back to the stopcock and lay some blue MDPE pastic under the floor...cheap as chips...correct pipe nowadays and fittings available. Wouldn`t trust that other stuff

You don't use inserts with the old solvent stuff, or compression for that matter.

you maybe don't but as kevplumb says use a plastic insert and fitting and you won't get a leak.

try grahams as our local branch carries stock of the most popular sizes of adaptors (take a small sample and match it up)

What size fitting do you use? it's not 15mm.

The last stuff I came across was so brittle that you wouldn't go anywhere near it with a compression, could be different stuff in different regions??

Right, decision made.

Thanks for all the advise, but I think it'll all have to go! I'm also told that as well as being brittle, mice also love it!

Anyone had experience of replacing plastic pipe due to mice chewing it? I'm told its an issue with all plastic pipe, even the new stuff...

Right, decision made.

Thanks for all the advise, but I think it'll all have to go! I'm also told that as well as being brittle, mice also love it!

Anyone had experience of replacing plastic pipe due to mice chewing it? I'm told its an issue with all plastic pipe, even the new stuff...

Vermin very rarely touch the old ABS, PVC pipes .

The do like Armaflex lagging, and Hep2o plastic pipe though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back