black smoke boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help.
After 4 visits from boiler engineer we are still stuck. We have an 8 year old Boulter boiler with a horizontal air intake from outside and a vertical flue. The boiler is serviced every year and this year one month after an oil tank fill and the service we had belching black smoke out of the top of the flue.
Engineer returns, surprised. Cleans everything out, replaces the nozzle and leaves. 5 days later--- black smoke. This time he returns and changes the solanoid and the little grey box (control box ?), cleans boiler out , replaces nozzle and leaves. 5 days later----- black smoke.
This time he returns and replaces the pump, cleans boiler out and replaces the nozzle and leaves. 5 days later--- black smoke.
He returns confused. checks the vertical flue and does a smoke bomb test, all clear. He checks the air intake feels there is a lot of air getting in ie feels draughty in bolier so he props a board of wood partially over air inlet, cleans out and replaces nozzle. He has just left but I apologies if I have a funny feeling we will be calling him again in 5 days.
We have an aga running off the same oil line and it is going fine. Dogs in same room where boiler is (hairs ?).
Please help bills running up and getting nowhere

ta

Graham

Sponsored Links
have you checked the oil? is it kerosine or gas oil?
could have a bad delivery

have you checked the oil? is it kerosine or gas oil?
could have a bad delivery

I think he would have noticed the AGA playing up if it was gas oil!!

Time to change your "Engineer" methinks ;)

Just a thought! Is the hydraulic jack leaking?

Did he check the o/p and combustion??

Definately kerosene
Engineer did mention bad fuel but said this was ok as came from reputable large compant "Johnstone oil". Also prob did not appear to start until 4 weeks after delivery of fuel. He did check combustion etc after he cleaned out boiler. (probe into small hole attached to meter) Sorry you can tell I am not an expert. He says that each time he leaves all is well and boiler burning efficiently with correct carbon monoxide etc. All is well for between 4-7 days. I had heard of someone who had a crack in there flue and condensation was running down inside pipe into bolier. Could this be relevant?

Sponsored Links
It could be the fan needs the blades cleaning, but since it works as he leaves, then it is likely to be a fuel line problem. A dirty filter, or air getting to the pump. I have had this sort of thing, and a deaerator fixed it. It would depend on the height of the tank, and a few other things. Can you post more info.

Pity it's not last year as I came up to Aberdeen on 8th Feb, but no plans this year.

Standard rain top cowl no bird mesh, not revolving , not H piece. We have had cowl off and flue appears clear. Has been working ok for 8 years since boiler fitted. The engineer also mentioned possibility of crack in casing holding nozzle?

Could fuel line still be a prob if aga going ok. Single line from 2500 litre plastic double bunded tank . we have checked filter at tank and is ok, Single line about 30 metres long gravity fed and line splits 1 metre before gets to boiler, 1 line to aga and 1 to boiler. Height of tank about 1.5 to 2 metres above boiler height. Ta for all input

Can you put an email address in your profile?

Any excess fuel would show in combustion analysis!!
As would flame impingement!

Did he leave a printout of combustion analiser?

Hmm I dont understand why changing the control box or a solenoid would affect or cure the smoking.
Im tending to agree with oilman, [i usually do :oops: ]

there could be a problem with the filter if the delivery stirred up some carp.

i love tiger loops for numerous reasons, one being you can see the oil.

It's possible that the boiler is sucking air in through the aga line (I'll explain how later).

It's bad practice to run a single line and has given rise to spectecular happenings in the aga. Separate lines should be taken from a 1/2" outlet at the tank, with separate filters and stop valves. There could be just enough crud in the line to cause this problem after a number of years with no problem.

print out results
o2% 6.9
co2 10.4
co ppm 28
eff g 85.86

NET C 153.2
FLUE C 158.7
INLET C 5.5

CO/CO2 0.000
X AIR % 49.60
CO PPMN 36
O2 REF % 3.0

PRS MBAR 0.06

Would put email in profile, otherwise the spam bots will get you. See your emails.

print out results
o2% 6.9
co2 10.4
co ppm 28
eff g 85.86

NET C 153.2
FLUE C 158.7
INLET C 5.5

CO/CO2 0.000
X AIR % 49.60
CO PPMN 36
O2 REF % 3.0

PRS MBAR 0.06

ta

thats 2 sets of readings,
and are wildy different,
was that before and after?
nearly 50% excess air?
yet 3% O2?
diluted reading

carp combustion

yeah i removed your email too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back